Slip on, Bolt-on, full-system

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip on, Bolt-on, full-system

Hi all,

Is there a definite way of telling whether a particulars system is a slip-on, bolt-on or full-system?

I have found a 4/2/1 for sale but the seller does not know if it is a full system or not. It is currently on a pre98 750 and I am considering purchasing it for my pre98 600 but I want the performance of a full-system rather then just the added noise of a slip-on/bolt-on (it's a Yosh btw)

Also, were there different systems made for the 750s and the 600s or are they interchangeable?

Thanks for any input,

Nick
    My Karma ran over my Dogma.

I could be wrong on this but I THINK katanas came with factory 4 into 2 or dual exhaust on pre 98s. If the header has small tubes connecting 2 pipes than I would say it's stock exhaust. I believe there isn't an after market header that does this or any that I've seen. If the header is stainless steel that it's definately aftermarket... don't know about the rest.

Comment

You're right, the pre98s have 4into2 and dual pipes. A "Full-system" would include 4/2/1 header, a midpipe and a can.

There are still bolt-on and slip-on mufflers out there though, meant to be replacements for that can alone.

I know that a post98 header will fit the pre98kats (need to use the post98 oil pan to help fit but the exhaust ports are correct size and alignment). People use these (and Bandit 1200 headers too apparently) along with a slip-on muffler meant for their bike. Of course, imo, this only gives you the noise asociated with aftermarket pipes and not the performance... being that the headers aren't desinged with optimal backpressure in mind for the particular bike.

I could be wrong though... any help would be great.

Nick

Comment

Re: Slip on, Bolt-on, full-system

Originally posted by goose491
        Hi all,

Is there a definite way of telling whether a particulars system is a slip-on, bolt-on or full-system?

I have found a 4/2/1 for sale but the seller does not know if it is a full system or not.
        Considering that they have mentioned that it is a 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust, I assume that would be a full system. If it was just an exhaust for sale, it would likely be a slip on. I don't believe they make bolt-ons for Kat's, the muffler is not bolted on in stock form. There is a post about what headers fit what somewhere around, search around a little, you will find it.
        Less weight is more power!!

Comment

New info:

-is in three pieces
          -spring is holding centre piece to silencer
          -other end bolted onto header

Aren't there only springs on slip-ons?

Comment

it should be full...yosh's can come with springs

Comment

yes its full the 4-2-1, also jardine has a 4-2-1 i believe.
              Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

Originally posted by goose491
                New info:

-is in three pieces
                -spring is holding centre piece to silencer
                -other end bolted onto header

Aren't there only springs on slip-ons?
                This info tells me that it is a full system... the header part really gives it away... I have springs on my full system on my GSXR600 race bike. It's not uncommon for join the peices like this. Also a slip on would likely only be 2 peices...
                Less weight is more power!!

Comment

Working...
                X