X

Front wobble when breaking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wobble when breaking

When I apply front breaks on my Nighthawk, I sometimes get a shimmy from the front. So far I haven't been able to pin it down. Just replaced the steering head bearings and put on new tires over the winter, so that shouldn't be the problem. Rides just fine otherwise, but when breaking heavy it shakes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    ND

This is kinda basic but , are tires balanced and tire pressure ok? Those are usually the problems, unless something more serious... like the stearing bearings not tight enough. Since you were there might as well doublecheck that.
    Too old to dream, too young to reason...
    I am fond of my rough edges.
    sigpic

Comment

Had the tires professionally mounted and balanced. Ran smooth for a few months after that, so I don't suspect the balance. I'll double check the pressure but it was good last time I checked a week ago.

I wondered about the torque on the steering head bearing myself, but didn't really want to tear down to that again. Guess if the other doesn't pan out, I'll have to do that. Don't get how it wouldn't shimmy at speed, but would when breaking though. Didn't make sense in my head for loose torque to manifest in that way.

Open to more thoughts/opinions.

Thanks,
      ND

Comment

If it's only when braking maybe the disks are bent?
        Too old to dream, too young to reason...
        I am fond of my rough edges.
        sigpic

Comment

Check the run out on your rotors.They may be warped.

Comment

Yeah I'm with the rotors, if you've already changed bearings and tires there's not much left
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

+1 on the rotors
              02' Katana 600
              D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Warped rotors is your problem
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

Well, that sounds like a real possibility. Knew that the pads were getting thin. Probably time to do both pads and rotors. <groan>

ND

Comment

Working...
                  X