Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What do you guys think of a Wider rear tire for my 06 Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of a Wider rear tire for my 06 Kat?

I Love the way the Gixxers & Other sport bikes look with the wide rear tire, what do you guys think of that? what size should i go with? where should i buy from? whats the pros & cons for wider rear tires?

Let me help you out.

It is the SEARCH button. It is your friend. That subject has been discussed over and over here.

Also, check out the FAQ section. You will find this thread that you need to read all the way through. It is VERY informative.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Re: What do you guys think of a Wider rear tire for my 06 Ka

Originally posted by larry_chip
      I Love the way the Gixxers & Other sport bikes look with the wide rear tire, what do you guys think of that? what size should i go with? where should i buy from? whats the pros & cons for wider rear tires?
      As long as you don't plan on actually riding the motorcycle put as large a tire as you can afford..

Pros:
      *Big fat wide tire that makes you think you have an open class sport bike.
      (But will only fool people who don't know anything about bikes)
      Same effect can be gained by putting stickers that say "Race Bike" on it.
      People who know enough about motorcycles to recognise a fat tire when they see one will know you've fitted a huge tire for looks and laugh at you.

Cons:
      *Crashing

Comment

black peter, why do you have to be so sarcastic?

i just asked whats the goods & bads because i don't know & your like a a**!

if your gonna reply with an answer that dosen't help or answer the question then please don't reply!

Comment

as court93kat said, the search feature will lead you to the right place. this topic has been done to death. imagine someone asking you the same question over and over day in and day out. i don't think peter was being too sarcastic there, as that's pretty much what would happen if you put a fat tire in the back without putting in a wider rim which would necessitate the need to mod your swingarm or get a new one. i digress...the lesson of the story, use the search feature. happy hunting.

Long Live the D

Comment

Re: What do you guys think of a Wider rear tire for my 06 Ka

Simmer down there larry, you asked for peoples thoughts, and that is what he gave you (his thoughts on the subject).

Personally anything over a 160/60/17 on a 98+ kat is overkill and a waste in my opinion. It will not increase power or performance. But that is just my opinion.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Larry, calm down

The simple fact of the matter is that you bought a Katana, not a gixxer. Your tire options are very limited. Your bike comes with the size of tire it does because that is the way it was engineered to perform. It is a sportbike, yes, but NOT a supersport bike. Please don't be offended by the way I am writing this, but take Court93Kat's advice and use the search button, I have...

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

You can go a little wider than the stock but if you want a big arse tire you are better to buy a gixxer. The Kat is a sport tourer and I think you are better off just going with the stock sizes. You can get pretty good deals on the internet, here's a site http://www.americanmototire.com/ Like Court said, do a search in the rollling stock section, there a plenty of threads to help you there. Try to not be so thin skinned. Black_peter is only joking around with you and I tend to agree with him. If you want a big arse tire get a pure sport bike cause the Kat is a perfect blend of the two, hence sport tourer.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Wow A lot of posts came in while I was writing..
                  While others share my feelings about the subject, I am a man.
                  (I spell M-A-N!) So I will step up:

I wasn't that sarcastic.. Sure that doen't say much for my attitude but there it is..

i just asked whats the goods & bads because i don't know
                  Honestly? You asked the same question most new members ask.
                  Along with "how do I wheelie"..
                  It's like nails on a chalkboard.
                  It also says you didn't read the FAQ and you didn't search.
                  If you had searched you would have found your answer.
                  So you're too busy or not interested in looking for your
                  answer but we are (at least I am) supposed to give you
                  a nice thoughtful reply...

& your like a a**!
                  Well I was just being honest. Sorry I came across as an ass..

if your gonna reply with an answer that dosen't help or answer the question then please don't reply!
                  Actually I did answer the question.
                  I guess I could have been more detailed in why crashing
                  is a possibility when you fit a tire your bike wasn't designed for
                  but I admit.. I was being a bit of an ass there..
                  But the first part, harsh as it seems is the truth.
                  At least that's what I would think.

Look sorry to have gotten off on the wrong foot here.
                  Really. So give me another shot.

I Love the way the Gixxers & Other sport bikes look with the wide rear tire, what do you guys think of that?
                  I agree, there is something about that fat rear tire that
                  says "muscle" and "knee dragging". I wonder if it is the same for women?
                  Or if it is some psyco-babble penis thing? Anyway it does look cool.
                  I remember when a friend bought a Speed Triple. It had a 190.. At the
                  time the largest tire available... It looked so sick!.

what size should i go with?
                  On a sock rim? Stock size. No larger IMO..

where should i buy from?
                  Do some searching on that. At the top of the page is the search link.
                  Some have had good luck with Dennis Kirk.
                  Other don't mind getting used tires. Sure they don't last
                  as long but if you don't like the tire you don't have a lot of cash in it.

whats the pros & cons for wider rear tires?
                  Pros? Only looks, unless it is done with other changes to the suspension.
                  Cons?
                  If the tire is not the right one for the rim it will be distorted to fit and
                  reduce your handling. It could also rub on parts at speed causing
                  it to fail. You might not notice this rubbing until its too late! Also
                  the distorted tire could fail faster due to over heating or come off the rim.
                  Both could cause nasty crashes. Also remember that the whole bike
                  is designed as a system. Changeing one part (like the rear tire) effects
                  the whole package so even if you got a wider rim that matched the
                  tire and nothing rubbed you could still adversly effect the handling.

Having said all that:
                  If you really like the look of the GSXRs etc..
                  Try to buy one. Maybe with luck or by buying bikes needing a little work
                  and reselling them for profit you can work your way to a new GSXR1000..

Now that would be cool.. And something I'd like to try this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter

Honestly? You asked the same question most new members ask.
                    Along with "how do I wheelie"..
                    It's like nails on a chalkboard.
                    Your Hurting My Ears ! !

"Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

i just asked whats the goods & bads because i don't know & your like a a**!
                      Take a chill pill larry!!! BP is one of the many great people on the board and I have had many conversations with him....If the possibility of saving your ass from killing yourself is considered being an ass then I guess everyone here is an ass....sarcasm?? It's a part of life...and he was in no way being sarcastic....look there are many sites out there that people would encourage you to put the "cool" looking tire on your bike but they are also the places that would tell you not to buy a "Can-O-Tuna" because they are not cool...this is not the place...we actually care that you get to your destination and home safely...we care if you get hit or your bike is not safe for riding...and when we lose one of our members, we come together in support of the family eventhough we live all over the world...this is Katriders.com...take it or leave it...but this is the way we are...
                      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Larry, I agree with you. I wanted a wider tire as well....so I got a 160.

Wouldn't reccomend anything larger, as it will be wasting the edges of the tire, as you wouldn't be able to get that low. Also, it does decrease your turn in rate (dropping into turns).

Also, 160 is more readily available than smaller sizes.

Comment

Yeah, I went with a 160 also, that is about the max I would go as well. I put D208s though, they are a pretty tire by dunlop and so far seem good for handeling
                          "Keeps it movin"

"Mean people SUCK......Nice people Swallow!"

Comment

Screw all you guys and your skinny little 150's and 160's (for all that can't figure it out, I'm being funny)

Comment

Best is..........stick with what you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X