Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Idle/Dying/clutch not engaging idle etc.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle/Dying/clutch not engaging idle etc.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and pretty new to riding, only had my permit for about the past 5 months now. only been riding about the past 2 months. I had an old kawasaki kz 750 spectre that I was riding for the majority of the 2 months until recently.

I just bought a 2000 Katana 600 for about 1800 in really good shape. All I had to do was replace the battery.

Now I have already noticed that this bike is totally different than my spectre in terms of manuevering and obviously quickness, as well as riding stance.
    I swapped out the battery today and have rode it around a little bit, but I am having a problem with the idle, it seems my bike needs to have the choke on to keep it from dying no matter how long its been warmed up for, and when I keep the choke on at all it idles at about 2500-3000 rpms, Is this normal?? I noticed that the idle screw is right beside/neath the petcock and I can turn the idle up and down with this to a point, but once it drops below 2000 rpms it just immediately wants to die unless I give it gas and keep revving it, or turn the choke back up a good ways! Like I said I am very new at this in general so am I doing something wrong? Or is my bike having some issues?

Also On occasion when I am slowing down to a stop in any gear wether the clutch is held in or not it will just keep dropping the rpms until it dies. It doesnt do this all the time, and normally if I hold the clutch and give it gas it goes back up to revving like normal etc. I am just at a loss right now with what to start looking at to fix it. Any info would greatly help me out! Thanks a ton!

Originally posted by 00'GSXF View Post
    Hello,

I am new to this forum and pretty new to riding, only had my permit for about the past 5 months now. only been riding about the past 2 months. I had an old kawasaki kz 750 spectre that I was riding for the majority of the 2 months until recently.

I just bought a 2000 Katana 600 for about 1800 in really good shape. All I had to do was replace the battery.

Now I have already noticed that this bike is totally different than my spectre in terms of manuevering and obviously quickness, as well as riding stance.
    I swapped out the battery today and have rode it around a little bit, but I am having a problem with the idle, it seems my bike needs to have the choke on to keep it from dying no matter how long its been warmed up for, and when I keep the choke on at all it idles at about 2500-3000 rpms, Is this normal?? I noticed that the idle screw is right beside/neath the petcock and I can turn the idle up and down with this to a point, but once it drops below 2000 rpms it just immediately wants to die unless I give it gas and keep revving it, or turn the choke back up a good ways! Like I said I am very new at this in general so am I doing something wrong? Or is my bike having some issues?

Also On occasion when I am slowing down to a stop in any gear wether the clutch is held in or not it will just keep dropping the rpms until it dies. It doesnt do this all the time, and normally if I hold the clutch and give it gas it goes back up to revving like normal etc. I am just at a loss right now with what to start looking at to fix it. Any info would greatly help me out! Thanks a ton!
    Due to the bike sitting and fuel evaporating out of the carbs leaving a varnish layer... your pilot circuit has been clogged. This is the circuit that provides gas for your bike to idle.

The fix is to remove the carbs and clean the fully with a complete disassembly and dipping the carb bodies into a carb dip. Just "spraying" them out won't work or fix the issue.

Carbs 102 in the wiki (link at top) is a full walkthru on how to do this if you want to do yourself and save a whole lot of $.

Otherwise, your looking at upwards $400 for a dealer to screw them up for you.

While in there inspect and replace any worn or dried out rubber.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
    X