X

Katana gsx-f 600 -- No Hands?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana gsx-f 600 -- No Hands?

When ever I take both hands off the bars almost immidiately after the handlebars and front wheel begin shaking left to right very violoently and I have to quickly grab hold of them. Sometimes this does not happn but is this normal???

Might be a cupped front tire, or a bent fork.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yeah, check that out soon! i would check the tire for proper balance at your local shop. and you probably want to make sure the tread on that tire is evenly wearing
      you could check that one of the calipers isn't sticking on the side it pulls toward too. it probably isn't but that sort of thing gets me paranoid
      1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Re: Katana gsx-f 600 -- No Hands?

Originally posted by Blowback
        When ever I take both hands off the bars almost immidiately after the handlebars and front wheel begin shaking left to right very violoently and I have to quickly grab hold of them. Sometimes this does not happn but is this normal???
        No, this is not normal. As suggested I'd look at the tire, wheel balance, forks, calipers, and possibly the steering neck bearings.
        -2005 Katana GSX750F ***SOLD***
        -2006 Kawasaki ZX-6R

RideGear.com (I keep shooting, but they won't DIE!)

Comment

It's not normal, that is a serious issue. get it checked out asap.
          myspace
          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

What brand/make of tires are on the bike, and is the tire pressure up to what it needs to be?

Dunlops and most Michelins are famous for cupping/scalloping early in their lives, and the problem is simply exacerbated by running the tires under pressure regularly (to the point that low pressure can make any brand/type of tire do it).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What speed range does it do it? If it is 35-45mph and the bike is an 01-02 then there are a few others that have the same symptoms.

Comment

The bike does have a natural resonance at certain speeds and the bars will wobble but it shouldn't be violent in nature. I would follow the advice in this thread and get your tires checked.
                "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

The guy at Sport Honda said my tires are "dry rotted" but I don't think thats the problem. Ill check the tire inflation right now. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I had thee same problem a month ago. Got new tires and the problem is gone. The tires were cupping... I got new Metzler Z6s and am loving them!

Here is a link to the thread I started on the same subject...

2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
                    Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
                    2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Blowback
                      The guy at Sport Honda said my tires are "dry rotted" but I don't think thats the problem. Ill check the tire inflation right now. Thanks for the help guys.
                      If he said the tires are dry-rotted, check the manufacture date imprinted in the sidewall (three or four digit code depending on manufacturer and when it was made -- first two digits are week of the year, and last digit[s] are year). If the tire is at or over 5 years old, replace it ASAP for your own safety.

Suggest you also post up a pic of the tire(s). I'll be happy to tell you if the guy was yankin' your chain or if you're actually at serious risk.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

What does "cupping" mean exactly? And how much would a new front tire cost nd would it be possible for a novice to do it on their own??? Thanks again for the help guys.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Let's see if these images help:

Dry Rot:

Dry-Rot & Scalloping (note how each tread block ends lower than the next tread block):

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ever since I've been running Avons on my 93 from fast deceleration between 50 and 45 it wobbles a bit. I checked tire balance and pressure made sure the fork bearings were good,torqued properly ect. Just dont take your hands off the clips and youll be fine..If it happens while your riding hands on get it checked asap..

Comment

Hmmm... I have an '01 that has some head shake at around 45 mph too. I wouldn't call it violent, but you can certainly feel it.
                              Sold: 2001 Katana 600
                              Bought: 2007 Kawasaki Z1000

Still waiting for my Braada Cowl... 62 weeks and counting... I'm told it will be worth the wait...

Comment

Working...
                              X