X

New guy saying Hi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy saying Hi

Hello to all on the forum. I am really looking forward to getting some good advise from the experts.

I traded my 81 CB750F supersport for a 89 GSX1100F 2 summers ago and I have been working on getting the bike running correctly ever since. I really love the moving windshield on this bike. I think the old slabs are the best looking Kats ever made.

I have only put about 200 miles on it and have installed a Dyna jet kit in the carbs and a K&N air filter in the air box. I did drill out the jet under the vacuum slide. I want to keep the airbox since I spent the cash on the K&N. It still will not run correctly but it is way better than when I got the bike. I cant believe the guy rode it to sturgis the way it was, horrible. Oh and it has dyna coils already installed with 8mm dyna wires. When I am on the main jet this bike accelerates like crazy but I just wont hold speed worth a darn. Especially in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range. I live at 800ft msl. Luckily I have a spare 88 GSX1100F parts bike and I am currently cleaning and rebuilding the carbs from that bike. I did find while cleaning the carbs that the needles are shot they are 5DL11's so those will have to be replaced. Jets-R-US does not sell this needle so I need to find them or equivalents.

I really like the bike and have replaced the fork springs with progressive, rebuilt the forks with new oil and seals, new head bearings and a new pet cock. I cleaned the carbs ultrasonically but have been really unhappy with the Dyna jet kit. I followed their directions and it still has a stumble and horrible gas mileage. I also replaced the front brake lines and clutch line with stainless.

I have been reading the forum for some time and just decided to join I was interested in the factory pro kit most guys seem to like for this bike. The carbs I have have the metal cap on top and the factory pro says their kits are not for my carbs. I have also read that their information is incorrect and 88 to 93 bikes all have the same 34mm carbs. I have as I have said above, a K&N filter in an stock airbox and a 4 to 1 exhaust.

Can I use their kits for my carbs? Is it really worth the 79 bucks for the extended idle mixture screws? Is it worth getting their ignition advance thingy?

Heres a picture of my baby

The complete parts bike.

Last edited by bomber737; 01-28-2015, 12:17 AM.

Welcome, groover! That's one of the finest looking, bitchingest big Kats tht I've ever seen. Fo sho!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome. Best bet, clean the 88 carbs install with a stock filter, The K&N filter wont work with CV carbs.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks guys, If I go back to the paper filter I still have to jet for the 4 to 1 exhaust. Can I use the factory pro kits?

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Sweet looking Big Kat!!

Comment

Yes, You should install a jet kit, even a sock bike can use one. If factory pro makes one for your carbs, that's the one most prefer.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

I did check the factory pro web site and they say they only make kits for the plastic top carbs but they list them as 36's not 34's. I have read that there is some debate that they put the 34's on all the early kat's and didn't go to the 36's until 94. Well I still have time before spring and I am waiting for new butterfly valve shaft seals coming.

Comment

Hi and welcome, if the extended idle screws you mean the mixture screws then yes get them, saves taking the carbs off just to adjust them which could be more than once, don't ask me how I know
                If it aint broke polish it

1979 GS7/11 - 1990 GSX1100F

My Rebuild
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133928

Comment

Welcome. Make sure find and fix any air leaks in the airbox and couplers first. For example is the airbox drain hose sealed? One tip is to install the airbox without the air filter so you can push the couplers onto the carbs from inside. Mine is stock with the CA jets and it has plenty of power. Of course tweaking more power out is fun, but see if you can get it running smooth with stock items first. Good luck.
                  '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Nice looking Kat!

Yes their (factory pro) website is incorrect, several people here have used that jet kit with great results. That will come with new needles so no need to source them elsewhere.

I will be ordering one for my own 1100 sometime in the next few months. And +1 to ditching the K&N. They lean out the bike too much. You've already got an aftermarket exhaust on the bike so it's already running pretty lean.

I don't have those long screws but I was very much considering getting them. It's a pain adjusting the a/f mix otherwise.

The ignition advancer is a nice add on. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it is noticable. Similar to adding 1-2 teeth on the rear sprocket when you're between 4 and 7k rpm. Factory pro stopped making them though. However you can get an advancer from Holeshot - specifically the one for the Bandit 1200 (not 1250). It will work on your bike.

Just a thought - since you did the front suspension, the rear shock is probably noticeably shot. There's a member on here (gsxfJim) that can work magic on it for you. He used to work for Racetech, but left there almost a year ago. Cheaper pricing than racetech for the same work
                    I'd recommend having the rear shock rebuilt, have a spring appropriate for your weight installed, and revalved if you can afford it. Very very nice difference.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                        Just a thought - since you did the front suspension, the rear shock is probably noticeably shot. There's a member on here (gsxfJim) that can work magic on it for you. He used to work for Racetech, but left there almost a year ago. Cheaper pricing than racetech for the same work
                        I'd recommend having the rear shock rebuilt, have a spring appropriate for your weight installed, and revalved if you can afford it. Very very nice difference.
                        You mean TMOD not GSXFJim, jim makes sprockets and stuff.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Oh shit. That's the second time I've done that...

92's right - TMOD for suspension.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Haha. Let's hope three isn't the charm
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Thanks for the info. I actually like the way the bike rides and the compression rates seem to be quite close. Compliant but they do not bottom out under my 250lb girth, so I will work on the carbs this summer and fix up stuff as I go along. I am not sure the rear shock is the stock, the spring is yellow. I don't know for sure but I am taking a guess. I just really want it to run correctly. I will have to see if I can still find the paper filter the bike came with. I usually don't throw stuff like that away until I know I wont need it ever again.

I did purchase the factory Pro kit today and the extended idle mixture screws. $79 just seems to be overly expensive for parts for a bike made in 89. I also ordered new jet, needle's. My local guy matched the price I found on the internet so for 16.03 a piece I couldn't pass on them.

One thing I have going for me is I have a set of morgan color tune plugs so when I set my idle mixture screws I know they are prefect. If you don't have a set, I highly recommend them if you work on bikes a lot.

Would you guys recommend going 1 size larger than the stock low speed jet? I have a set of 32.5's ready to go in them.

Comment

Working...
                              X