X

1982 Katana Colors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Katana Colors

I'm in the process of re-conditioning my '82 Kat (original owner) and want to go back with the same frame color and same body work color. I had seen a color chart on BikeBandit but its Greek to me.

Does anyone know a comparable color for these items or where to source the paint?

Thanks in advance,

Z

GS1000SZ

It is a silver that any automotive paint supplier should be able to match NO problem if you just have a small sample. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

If you want something that looks even better than the original color, mine was painted in 2001 Ferrari Alpine Silver Metallic and it looks great. My other 82 is still painted in the stock silver and almost looks drab in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post
        I'm in the process of re-conditioning my '82 Kat (original owner) and want to go back with the same frame color and same body work color. I had seen a color chart on BikeBandit but its Greek to me.

Does anyone know a comparable color for these items or where to source the paint?

Thanks in advance,

Z

GS1000SZ
        Hey Zack,

I have some color codes on this page http://www.robwilton.com/katana_specifications.html

Cheers,
        Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

...and the plot thickens

Gents,

Thanks for the feedback and the links. I think I will have a part scanned as per Ray and see what they come up with. Maybe take a look at the Ferrari color, as well.

Well, I drove 14 hours yesterday/last night to pick up my 2nd Kat. Another '82 GS1000SZ...got it off ebay...(North Georgia). IMO, a pretty good deal...not as good as some I've seen ya'll get but I'm happy with it. The basic shape is good but is a little rough around the edges. It has an ugly MAC header on it but runs well. The clock has 140mph whereas my original had 85mph...must be something besides a US spec and it still has both needles. Some of the wiring looks a little ratty but a good core bike to start with. Rear master cylinder reservoir appear chrome plated, seat pan re-upholstered in black vinyl and no center stand. The seller had it for two years and he had bought it from someone in Arkansas. It looks like they had plans on a paint scheme but looks un-finished. I'll post a pic shortly.

Roughly, my plan is to build my old original back +/- stock and use whats left over to build something a little more radical.

Thanks, again.

Z
          Last edited by zackybilly1; 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Ever notice that once you buy one vintage katana, you almost always buy a second (or third or fourth...)

Comment

So TRUE Matt!!! Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Pics

Took a 25-30 mile ride at lunch. The rear cush drive rubbers are sloppy. Tires are old & hard. In spite of its appearance, it seems to pull good.

140 mph clock

Vinyl Seat

Ugly Pipe

Color Scheme???

I'm going to pull the tank off tonight and see what kind of bird nest wiring has been done on it.

Honestly, I'm more excited about the 2nd bike. The one I purchased new is straight forward....no thought required...just go back the way it was with minor upgrades.

The second one will be a blank canvas. While working on No. 1, I'm going to be researching approaches to No. 2. I haven't had my head wrapped around these bikes in a long time (1986ish). I like the looks of the Yoshi Kat but don't foresee the inverts or big rotors in my future.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Z

PS...does anyone know the production numbers on this model. Back in the day when I bought my first, the owner of the new dealership told me that there were only 3000 made with 1500 coming to the US. Later, I saw on the web that there were only 3000 made. Fact or fiction?

Comment

That cluster is off an 83 1100 Kat. I like the 66 Chevelle too! Ray.

Comment

That Chevy is beautiful as is the Norton. Oh, I see you drive a Triumph as well. Damn, I am jealous once again

Andre

Comment

Ukilme...I've been building Triumphs since the early 80's. I have '67, '68, '69 Bonnevilles that are keepers (I've had the '67 since 1977) and a custom Triumph that I work on from time to time. I started a complete rebuild on the Norton in June and finished it in August and decided to tackle the more-modern Katana project that I've been threatening to start for some time. I'm fixing to have both Katanas scattered all over the shop.

This is what the Norton looked like in May.

Although I enjoy riding and ride alot, I get almost as much out of working them. I've always liked the riding position of the old Katana and am looking forwarded to getting them sorted out. More antique tags in the herd.

Z

Comment

I really like the looks of the new one......... I'd ride it a bit before making any major changes. Try to get another to rebuild......this one is fine as is. Just my thoughts.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Those are some sweet bikes. I know what you mean about working on them. I had a zx7r that was track prep'd and painted by myself. I rebuilt the brakes, forks, and so on and so on. I loved taking it to the track but high sided at speed this past May and sold it two weeks later- I wasn't scared off but more it wasn't worth it etc.

I loved working on the bike just as much as taking it to the track. Hence, I picked up a 82 Kat750 shortly after wards.
                          Last edited by ukilme; 09-13-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zackybilly1 View Post

This is what the Norton looked like in May.

Z
                            Very nice, I'm a big fan!

If you haven't seen it, track down the movie One Week starring Joshua Jackson. He portrays a young guy who is diagnosed with terminal cancer so he buys a Norton Commando on a whim and rides it across Canada from Toronto (ON) to Tofino (BC). Great story, beautiful scenery.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstmPmzgLEo"]YouTube - One Week - Trailer[/ame]
                            1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Slofuze...it looks good from 25 feet but will not take that much effort to make it right. I know how I am, if I put it off, I'll just get bogged down working on something else. I'm in motion on a two bike build.

Ukilme...I was at a buddy's house yesterday evening and he is putting together a '78 SuperGlide that he's had since new. A year or so ago, he tore the bike down for cosmetics, painted the frame, had the tank and fenders painted and now, he's putting it back together. Yesterday, he was was bolting up the greasy, grimey engine and transmission that was just a funky as the day he pulled them out of the frame. It was driving me crazy. I try not to make a career out of a bike build but WTF? Did no engine or transmission work....all for looks....and it was looking worse than when he tore it down. Maybe I like to work on them too much or he doesn't like to work on them enough. Still can't figure that one out.

exc911ence...thanks for the trailer and I'm going to try to catch that one. Not because of the bike but more about being able to relate. I used to be bad about say "one of the days". Well, for me, one of these days is here and now. My hobby (wrenching & riding) is the same as it was as a teenager but I'm far from being a teenager any more. To the best of my ability, I'm not putting off doing what I want to do. We all have an expiration date and I'm coming to terms with it.

Z

Comment

Working...
                              X