X

random exhaust ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random exhaust ?

so the last few months i've been researching parts and what not and i was kinda wonder on something that i couldn't really find any info on..

? is.. I see when most ppl do and exhaust upgrade on a pre they pretty much just change the oil pan to a post and just use the post 4 - 1 headers and buy a slip on.

I really don't see many ppl that have done an upgrade to the exhaust use a dual can setup like the kat had to begain with? i know it would be wicked loud but why not ya know?

Is it because the 4-2-1 style hearders are just crap preformance wise?

is there a way to update the headers but use the same 4-2-1 design and go with a idk... maybe dual moto gp style or maybe the jardine gp-1 slip ons for the gsxr600/750?

Or would it just be better to use the post 98 header and fab a y pipe with a balance tube to run the duals?
    A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him.

Duals are heavier, so less performance advantage.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I think the main points to installing a 4-1 exhaust are weight and appearance. Face it, most people think a single-side exhaust looks better and almost anything is lighter than the stock setup. When they use post headers they generally go to a lighter muffler than stock, too.

If you wanted to use a dual exhaust setup and still lower the weight, there's a few out there but you're probably looking at doing some fab work to make it fit.

There are some power gains from a 4-1 exhaust but on a Kat that's a pretty minor gain.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

yeah thats what i was wondering.. i know with the kats almost anything will swap i.e. bandit/SV/gsxr with a few cuss words and little time spent on fitting. but i couldn't find anything or anyone thats used the post/aftermarket 4-2 headers. got any ideas as to a way of doing this?

Comment

If you want to do that just hack off the stock cans and weld new ones on.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Ummm... How's your bending and welding?

You could use the stock head pipes as a starter. Join 1/3 together and 2/4 together (Clearance issues there, crossing 2&3 past each other) and bring the joins out towards the sides to midpipes. If you don't cross 2&3 and instead pair 1/2 and 3/4 you're going to get starting and stopping issues in the pipes. They'll actually flow worse than stock.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I was thinking about that but... the po that had the bike befor i got it off my buddy put a tire into it.. i was thinking about just cutting everything off just above the H pipe on the header and fabing the rest out but i don't have a pipe bender nore does my work have one small enough to use so.. a pre bent kit maybe, if there is one. like from jeggs or summit or something.

could i make a Y pipe for a post 98 header and go that route? or what other headers will work for this?
              Last edited by cafewithballz; 04-10-2012, 07:15 AM.

Comment

There are 4-2-1 systems out there. You can modify the 2-1 to keep the 2 pipes for dual exhaust, or run a Y split so it's 4-2-1-2 or use a Y split on 4-1 systems.

First, determine what can's you want to use. Some are not very friendly to be made to be used on the left side. Some are interchangable sides, and some systems are made for dual systems to start with.

Once you work out what cans you want and how they will be mounted, pick the header setup you want to use.

Once you have the header setup you want and the cans are ready to be mounted, have custom mid pipes made to mate the 2.

Find a local shop that does exhaust work. They will have the ability to bend the pipes to what you want to make this work. You can even purchase flexible exhaust pipe to use as a mock up for your mid pipe shapes so you take just those to them and say "bend me pipes to match these."

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

lol man i wish i had the money to buy a set of those plastic exhaust connect things that you use for moc up.. those things are nice.
                  Last edited by cafewithballz; 04-10-2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I thought about useing a jardine gp 1 where the can is tucked under the bike but i haven't really got to that part yet.. don't really know if the cans are small enough to run under there or not either. i was more so wondering about the down tubes that run into the collector and weither the H pipe after the collector is needed.

like if i was to go with a 89+ header and run the can right off the collector in to a Y pipe, am i going to run into a motor problem with the can being that close or what? or would it be better to use two cans for this?

also: if i was to use a pre set of headers and mod the H pipe on the down tubes where the pipe isn't sitting on the out side of tubes but run between the two, in theory they would flow better right?

Ima think on this one awhile.. lol i guess the main thing about what i might be looking for is not having the cans run up the side of the bike but up under the motor and have the tips dump out right behind the rearsets.
                    Last edited by cafewithballz; 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM.

Comment

http://horsepowersports.com/icengine...rs-like-a-pro/ this is a must for anyones shop.

Comment

It's "people" not ppl.

Comment

Sure thing guy

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            It's "people" not ppl.

I must have missed a ninja edit...

It's better than "peeps," or when someone calls you "bro."

Comment

That does seem rather awesome, but $750? For plastic tubing? For enough plastic tubing to cost $10 at home depot? I realize that it's better for the job, but still. Awesome idea, but the cost puts that out of the range of my intentions. If all I need is the shape, I'd rather spend $10, get some foam pipe insulation, and use something bendable on the inside of it to keep the shape, like a few wire coat hangers or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X