Rear Hugger

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Hugger

No, I don't have one. No, I don't have one to sell.... yet

Anybody who DOES have one, can you get me some measurements when convenient?

How thick is the material that the hugger is made of? 1/16"? 1/8"? 1/4"? 1/2" (good lord that would be huge)?

Also, how much clearance is there between the tire and the hugger?
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

hi mate, i have a rear hugger on mine and they are not very thick. they are made from 3mm ABS plastic. mine is the power bronze one that has a metal bar to screw down to the swinging arm on the right side of the bike (no drilling needed) you use the hole for the brake line holder. as for clearence around the tyre its around 9mm at the rear. i have painted mine as i did not like the all white look.

Comment

You have my attention.

Comment

i will get some better pictures of the hugger for you in the next day or so and post them on the site so if you want a picture of any certain part let me know.

Comment

What you've given me so far is pretty awesome really... I'd like to see more pictures of the mounting locations so I know what to do with them, and how the hugger clears the chain...

Here's what I've got so far. If this goes well I'll be making these in small production quantities. Probably going to operate more like Cyber does than how Braada did. I won't take orders. I'll make small batches and sell them when I have them. I'm going to be living in middle-of-nowhere WV so I'll have some free time to work on them, so if there is interest I'll make them up. I have no clue what the cost of this piece will be, but I'll only charge a little more than my own costs. (To those concerned I'm talking to the owners about doing what I have to to be a seller here).

Here's the project so far:

Got a tire from Steve, used packing tape to make a pseudo flat surface with no treads to fill in...

Next I started covering it with plaster to build up enough distance from the tire to the bottom of the hugger. I'm going to lay aluminum ducting tape over this and then lay fiberglass over this tape. I'm probably going to just make a very large initial fiberglass piece and then cut that to the shape I want, so it looks pretty square right now...

Thank you to my Econ professor for assigning a silly "start your own business go sell something" bull assignment... That was the final kick in the pants to start this. I've been thinking about it for a while, maybe something will come to fruition here...

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
          -Robert Morrison

"

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

I think that most huggers incorporate a chain guard and remove the stock part.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

got some more pictures for you but if you need any more help let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                I think that most huggers incorporate a chain guard and remove the stock part.
                That was the plan, just need to make a "jig" on the side of that tire to mold the plaster over to make the attachment points. Was mostly looking to see if the chain gets substantially more clearance than the tire as the chain bounces more in my experience.

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

andybar4, that's a power bronze hugger isn't it?

Comment

it sure is a power bronze one and its not very good quality i think, i make seat cowls and this is the reason i use fibreglass on them and not ABS. The problem i find is that the hugger can rub on the tyre wall if you get a strong cross wind.

Comment

BEOWULF exhaust.....hmm never heard of that....kewl i'll check em out...nice kat though bro...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                        BEOWULF exhaust.....hmm never heard of that....kewl i'll check em out...nice kat though bro...

I am a retailer for Beowulf pipes and you have to have what you sell,
                        have a look at the link for more info on them.

Comment

Can you get us a deal?

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

So this project.....Differences between Pre and Post/600 and 750 or will this be universal?

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
                              So this project.....Differences between Pre and Post/600 and 750 or will this be universal?
                              Being designed off a 98+ 600. After I make it I'll see what all it will mount up to. I'd assume it will mount to all 98+ Kats, as I think the swingarm length difference is towards the pivot point, not an extension beyond the mountint points I'd be using.

As for pre98's, md86 has a pre98 750 and I'll see if I can fit it up to his. Again, if it fits one engine size, I think it will fit the other. It doesn't appear that the swing arm changed much one year to the next, with the exception of where the brake caliper mounts (top on pre98, bottom on 98+).

I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out though...

-Robert Morrison

"

Comment

Working...
                              X