X

Lowering a 2003 Katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering a 2003 Katana 600

Wondering if anyone here has lowered their 600. I am considering getting a new motorcycle and I am thinking about keeping the katana (since it's a very reliable bike) and lowering a bit for the girlfriend to use. Just asking for any experience with people doing this or if they have any kits they can recommend. Thanks!
    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

yes, it has been done with modified shock and trimming some foam from the seat. Try search, there may be others.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Lowering the bike destroys the handling. I bought mine with lowering links installed and I had no idea how much worse it was with them until I had it raised back up. If she needs the bike lowered to be comfortable holding it up, then it's better than the alternative of never riding. But don't lower it if you don't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
        Lowering the bike destroys the handling. I bought mine with lowering links installed and I had no idea how much worse it was with them until I had it raised back up. If she needs the bike lowered to be comfortable holding it up, then it's better than the alternative of never riding. But don't lower it if you don't need to.
        That is due to the front not being lowered the same amount.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

my bike is lowered i love it . it is not hard to do. pm me ill let you now a easy way to lower it.

Comment

I lowered my pre-600 by 1.75". I did it by having the shock and forks themselves modified so that they do not extend as much and at the same time I had them set up for my weight and riding style. I put about $800-$1000 into the suspension to do this. Not all of that was absolutely needed, but I'm a girl so I can get away with an extra $100 or $200 for look pretty.

Lowering links and other forms do not adjust the suspension rate and travel to compensate so you can, and usually will run into situations that it does not react properly and/or you start scraping hard parts.

Post Kats are wider at the seat, so they are effectively taller than the pre's, even though the seat height is technically lower. So you need to consider that as well.

I guess it comes down to the question of how much you love the girlfriend and what her safety is worth.
            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X