No announcement yet.
X

The start of my plasti dip project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck no. Then it just looks like you were unable/unwilling to remove the tank and properly spray the bike. The tank should always be the same color as the fairings.

As far as pearl white, its easier than you think. Go to Walmart and buy Disney Magnificent Metallic in gold, tint it with Glidden white, spray the parts with straight white as a base coat, tint the gold with 3 parts white to 1 part gold, spray that over the white base and then clear it half a dozen times. I'm doing my next cruiser with that theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
      Heck no. Then it just looks like you were unable/unwilling to remove the tank and properly spray the bike. The tank should always be the same color as the fairings.

As far as pearl white, its easier than you think. Go to Walmart and buy Disney Magnificent Metallic in gold, tint it with Glidden white, spray the parts with straight white as a base coat, tint the gold with 3 parts white to 1 part gold, spray that over the white base and then clear it half a dozen times. I'm doing my next cruiser with that theme.
      Good to know. I've never painted anything as far as auto wise. I like the plasti dip, but I think I would like a normal paint job more.
      99 Katana 600

Comment

can you use plain glidden interior paint?
        99 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
          Do you continually hold the spray nozzle down and spray side to side? Or do you release the spray nozzle after passing each side? I think I also got some roughness and splatter from trying to release the nozzle after each pass. The first time I did it I just held the thing down and passed back and forth, but than I saw a plasti dip video and the guy was releasing it after each pass so I tried that, but I think it messed it up and got me splatters and roughness.
          When you release the nozzle the can should be facing away from any object you are painting. That way you dont get the splatter

Comment

Originally posted by JSMencer View Post
            can you use plain glidden interior paint?
            If you clear coat it you can use any paint.

Comment

I'd really like to plasti dip my rims. I'm am just unsure about removing my rear tire. I don't want to screw anything up.
              99 Katana 600

Comment

I'd really like to plasti dip my rims. I'm am just unsure about removing my rear tire. I don't want to screw anything up.
                Paint them. You'll regret Plastidipping them in about 3 days.

Comment

I'm just unsure about pulling the tire off, and putting it back on. I feel like i'll screw something up. So i'll probably just leave them.
                  99 Katana 600

Comment

Tape it correctly and you don't *have* to pull the tire from the wheel. Its also easy to brush paint off of rubber with steel wool.

Comment

keep the tank black?
                      No, keep it white to match the rest of the body.
                      http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

I'm going to buy some more white here real soon and do the tail and tank. I think I like the white more. I wanna leave some parts black though.
                        99 Katana 600

Comment

Had to do the tail, tank will be done soon.
                          Attached Files
                          99 Katana 600

Comment

White Plastidip looks great for about 100 miles but shows everything. Since Plastidip is also sticky its easy to tear. A tear in black isn't as hard to repair. In white its almost impossible.

Comment

I have over 100 miles on the fairings. Tail I just did obviously. I'll see how it holds over the next 2 weeks or so. I don't have any longer trips planned right now just commuting. Thats where most the wear and tear comes in though.
                              99 Katana 600

Comment

Here are some more pictures... Waiting to put my lower fairing on until I change my oil.
                                Attached Files
                                99 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X