X

WorkLog: 17" wheel conversion (Long)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:
    After riding less than 500 miles in the last year (it's been a rough year), the left edge of my rear tire is missing some rubber. A close look revealed that the chain has been rubbing a bit. That's what we call un-good.

Following a bunch of thinking, some (a lot of) careful measurements and consultation with Kreylyn, I've come to the conclusion that a 5.5" GSXR rim is just too wide, at least with the 180/55-17 tire on it. You might be able to get away with the 5.5" rim if you mount a 170/60-17 tire but even that looks like it'd be a bit close. According to Michellin's website, a 170 is the narrowest tire you should mount on a 5.5" rim but they don't make a Pilot 2CT in that size (to match the 2CT on the front). I'm going to see about picking up a 4.5" rim off an RF-600 and mounting a 160/60-17 tire. More to follow and when I'm done I'll edit my first posting in this thread as well as the wiki.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Bill, I've been really thinking about the 17" wheel thing and saw so many others on here do the 5.5" wide rear rim, supposedly with success. Yes it does make the 1100's "look" more muscular, kinda like a Kawa zx-11. But I was always a little skeptical about such a wide rim and tire, almost 2.5" wider tire than stock. Does anyone know if the 17x4.5" rim from like a '96 Bandit600 work? Like this:

Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

That's exactly what I'm planning. If you want to wait a couple of weeks I'll let you know how it goes. I've got a PM out to Nut-Nut asking how his 5.5" fits. Who knows, it may just be my tire choice. I really love the Pilot 2CT tires but if something else fits better then that may be the answer. Meanwhile, I'm old and not dead-set on a wide rim. The stock width was fine with me; I made the swap for the 17" diameter.

I'm still sold on the handling difference from the larger diameter wheels. It's incredible and definitely worth the trouble.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by BIG-KO View Post
          Bill, I've been really thinking about the 17" wheel thing and saw so many others on here do the 5.5" wide rear rim, supposedly with success. Yes it does make the 1100's "look" more muscular, kinda like a Kawa zx-11. But I was always a little skeptical about such a wide rim and tire, almost 2.5" wider tire than stock. Does anyone know if the 17x4.5" rim from like a '96 Bandit600 work? Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190555150198...84.m1438.l2649
          Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          That's exactly what I'm planning. If you want to wait a couple of weeks I'll let you know how it goes. I've got a PM out to Nut-Nut asking how his 5.5" fits. Who knows, it may just be my tire choice. I really love the Pilot 2CT tires but if something else fits better then that may be the answer. Meanwhile, I'm old and not dead-set on a wide rim. The stock width was fine with me; I made the swap for the 17" diameter.

I'm still sold on the handling difference from the larger diameter wheels. It's incredible and definitely worth the trouble.

The Bandit 4.5" wheels will have the same measurments as the 5.5" wheels at the hub, spacers, so on for fitment. I do believe they drop from 6 slot to 5 slot on the cush slots though, so you will need to double check you have a matching carrier to fit in. It's just the rim that is different in size over all for fitment. The information that Bill gave me points towards that is really the only fitment issue he's got for the most part at this point. Just not enough room closer to the pivot in the swingarm to fit the larger tire.

One of these days I'll get around to picking up an 1100 swingarm so I can do some figuring... probably when I find me a nice project bike I want to steel the engine out of.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            ...I do believe they drop from 6 slot to 5 slot on the cush slots though, so you will need to double check you have a matching carrier to fit in...
            That's correct. Almost missed that one until I was staring at photos on ebay, looking for damage on what seemed like a pretty inexpensive rim.

Going with either a Bandit 600 or RF600 rear wheel you get the 5 slot cush drive so along with the rim, you'll need the sprocket carrier/spacer, cush drive rubbers and, since it's pretty cheap, I went with an axle that included the left spacer and right-side bearing cover/spacer. According to metalgear, the GSXR rotor I've already got should fit just fine and it looks like my stock sprocket should also swap right over. If everything works out then I'll install the new sprocket/chain set I've had waiting on the shelf. (Keeping fingers crossed!)

I just ordered up the RF600 parts so I should have them in around the end of the week. I'll let y'all know how they fit soon as I find out.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That's correct. Almost missed that one until I was staring at photos on ebay, looking for damage on what seemed like a pretty inexpensive rim.

Going with either a Bandit 600 or RF600 rear wheel you get the 5 slot cush drive so along with the rim, you'll need the sprocket carrier/spacer, cush drive rubbers and, since it's pretty cheap, I went with an axle that included the left spacer and right-side bearing cover/spacer. According to metalgear, the GSXR rotor I've already got should fit just fine and it looks like my stock sprocket should also swap right over. If everything works out then I'll install the new sprocket/chain set I've had waiting on the shelf. (Keeping fingers crossed!)

I just ordered up the RF600 parts so I should have them in around the end of the week. I'll let y'all know how they fit soon as I find out.
              Double check on the sprocket. If I remember correctly, the bolts for the sprocket mounting match the cush slots. So 5 bolt pattern for 5 cush slot wheels, 6 bolt pattern for the 6 cush slot wheels.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Dang, dang and double dang! You're right. Sigh...

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Dang, dang and double dang! You're right. Sigh...
                  Please, don't say stuff like this too often. It really goes to his head and he becomes insufferable to live with.
                  Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X