X

HID headlight problem???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Everyone,

The mock wiring is done. A diode needs to be added to keep the low beams on when the high beams are flicked on. A trip to Radio Hack is in order. I will also tiddy up the wiring harness. Here are the latest pics.

These bulbs were moded to fit in H4 housings so the mount needed to be modded to fit in the projector housing.

The wires for the Bi-Xenon needed an exit from the housing. The holes have been sealed to keep moisture out.

The main power and ground directly from the battery with inline 30 AMP fuse. I went with 10 gauge stranded wire. This goes to input 30 on your relay. Everything that needs a ground is grounded to the main ground. The common headlight ground is only used on the relay at input 85. I went with a two relay set even though the diagram I posted earlier only shows one.

More Wire pics. The yellow wires are the factory high beams which go to the power wire (orange) on the Hella ballast.

Number Five is ALIVE!!!

My Johnny Five!!!

Another!!!

I'd hate to meet this guy in a dark alley.

The low beam cut off is pretty sharp.

Gotta go finish up so I can get my tires mounted.

Comment

looks good, hope to see finished soon
      Lookin to purchase a set of reasonably priced,reasonably good condition carbs for 90 gsx600f. PM me with what you got.

Thanks.

Comment

You beat me to saying Johnny five is alive!!!! But now that i think about it, it could be the robot from Saturn 3

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I completed these a couple weeks ago; but I've been riding so much (Loving the Conti Sport Attacks) I got away from updating.

Front - Lights Off

Side - Lights Off

Other Side - Lights Off

Low Beam

High Beam

Side - Low Beams

It looks kind of scary at night and cagers clear the path. Next up is replacement fairings, Ivan's jet kit and a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady saddle.

Comment

Looks really good! could look even better with some 4300k bulbs! imo.

Comment

Great write up. I am cracking open my headlight in the morning and beginning to slice and dice.

How is the JB weld holding up? I've been running all kinds of fitment options through my head, I figured something like that wouldn't hold all that great with vibration.
              Project "I wear my sunglasses at night" is complete: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103420

Comment

Originally posted by uno View Post
                Great write up. I am cracking open my headlight in the morning and beginning to slice and dice.

How is the JB weld holding up? I've been running all kinds of fitment options through my head, I figured something like that wouldn't hold all that great with vibration.
                Thanks Uno,

I didnt do JB weld. I used GE high temp silicone from home depot. I haven't had any problems the light work perfect. When we ride at night everyone wants me upfront. Below is a link to my album with all the project pictures. I used small zip ties and dixie cups to let the silicone cure.

Comment

Bringing the old thread up from the Dead! Very Nice work!

Now need a suggestion on what Projectors to pick up for reasonable price and where to find timed ballasts?
                  New Member, check me out @ RS25.com

Comment

Originally posted by yellow_kitty_kat View Post
                    Hey man. I did an HID swap into my Kat last year, and did a big write up on it, so this is not virgin territory for me. I did it with "$70 eBay Special HID's" as well, and they were awesome and went in with zero problems. I have some pics in my garage

The first thing I would do is delete all of that PO stuff out, and return the bike to stock. This gives you a good basis to start doing mods the CORRECT way. If you don't do that, at least clean up that abortion of tape and butt-splices.

When you go to install your lights, get a heavy duty light harness, too. This is plug and play, comes with everything you need, and allows you to use your stock switch-gear as well.

Also, Potter & Brumfield have been making relays for just about forever.

can i please have a link to the whole process of installing HID's? please !!

Comment

Here's how to do it right:

He did it on a post-kat but you can do it on a pre, too. I did. Total cost was about $100 including a spare headlight to avoid having my bike out of commission, a bi-xenon projector (has a shutter for high/low) and two d2 bulb/ballast setups from e-bay. (That was cheaper than buying just one.)

I ran an aux fuse panel with a relay to power it and used the stock headlight connector to switch between high/low beam. With the single-element bulb and a shutter on the projector there's no delay at all between high and low beam. Since I used a projector instead of just throwing the wrong type of bulb in a halogen housing I get the sharp cutoff with low beam and don't have blinded drivers coming at me on the road!
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I still love this thread need to source some nice projectors off fleebay and this is a go
                        99 Katana GSX600F -03 Bandtana GSX1200F- 06 Charger Daytona R/T

The Tallest KAT Rider.. Out there! PERIOD.

Comment

I put lifetime led's on the car, and love them. Might get a set for the Kat. They have H4 replacements for $149. It was plug and play on the car, don't know about the bike yet
                          2000 Kat 600

Comment

Working...
                          X