X

2001 750F Key On, No Power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 750F Key On, No Power

I've seen similar posts that usually pertain to ignition switches or battery issues, but this problem is neither and it has me stumped.

The backstory:
    Came out of work to start the bike that had be cruising flawlessly less than two hours before. Nothing. Turned the key and zero power to anything. No dash, no lights, nada. And the clock, that had been working with the key off, also lost power with the key on. Turned key off and power restored to the clock. Ultimately towed home.

The battery shows 12.6V, charges at 13.5V. All fuses, including mains have been confirmed good with my trusty Fluke. Starter relay continuity checks out. Thought it might be ignition switch and initial continuity tests seemed to confirm that, but $141 later, the new switch does nothing to fix the issue. I've ohmed wiring from ignition switch going to fuse block and ICU and all have continuity. Checked all my grounds and no loose or corroded connections.

I'm at a loss as to what it might be. Anyone know if diodes in the turn signal/side stand relay might cause this issue if the relay is bad? Anyone had this issue before? Only 17,000 miles on the bike. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Have you checked the 30amp fuses on the starter relay.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Those would be the Mains and yes, they were the first thing I checked. All fuses have been confirmed good using a multi-meter.

Comment

Check the electrical plugs under the tank.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I'm guessing you mean the HT Coils? Both checked for continuity and seem ok. Connector for ignition switch checks out as well.

Comment

Did you check the relay and all fuse connections.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

What's the condition and routing on the wires underneath the tank, and the ones that go up the right side behind the main fairing?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but there is 1 fuse that is not in the fuse block.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Wonder if that relay went bad...
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

Steves, The wiring under the tank (I believe you mean the bundle that includes the connector for the ignition switch) is good. All have been ohmed and show continuity. The power wire going to the connector shows 12V.

ZukiFred, As mentioned previously in the thread, the 30A Main fuse was the first thing I checked. I've had it go out once before, with similar results. But in this case, the fuse is ok.

92xjunker, I tested the starter relay for continuity between both poles by removing the connector and the relay seemed to be ok, but I'm beginning to wonder if despite showing continuity if the relay might be toast. I'll dig into it some more later today. I may be at a point where I just systematically start going through the entire harness. Arg.

Thanks all for the assistance. Much appreciated.

Comment

So it's been a while since I've posted anything concerning the lack of power issue for my 2001 750F. In that time, I've replaced the ignition switch, main relay and the ignition control unit; all to no avail. I've tested every fuse on the bike and checked the kill switch/starter switch for continuity. All are good.

Right now when I turn the key to on, the clock in the cluster loses power and no lights come on. But when I disconnect the black connector at the front of the bike which connects the kill/starter switch to the main harness and turn the key to on, the cluster lights up normally with the neutral and oil lamp and the clock stays on. Hit the turn signals with the kill/starter switch still disconnected and the cluster lights flash but not the signal cluster lights. Hit the horn button, cluster lights go off until horn button released but no horn sounds. Battery shows 13V while on the charger.

At this point, I don't know what else to check. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm throwing in the towel and carting it off to the shop.

Comment

I don't know if you are still having this issue or not, but I had the same thing going on with mine. In my case the PO had wired the starter relay backwards. and with that no power to the bike when you turn the key. I'm at work ATM and don't have a pic of the starter relay but as I recall there is a B and an S on the relay relating to the main wires from the Battery and to the Starter. make sure that those are correct. This had me pulling my hair out until I realized what had happened. In the end, I scored a great bike for $350. 98 Katana 600. I am still working out the fuel system but expect to have it running this weekend. I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit Kat View Post
                          So it's been a while since I've posted anything concerning the lack of power issue for my 2001 750F. In that time, I've replaced the ignition switch, main relay and the ignition control unit; all to no avail. I've tested every fuse on the bike and checked the kill switch/starter switch for continuity. All are good.

Right now when I turn the key to on, the clock in the cluster loses power and no lights come on. But when I disconnect the black connector at the front of the bike which connects the kill/starter switch to the main harness and turn the key to on, the cluster lights up normally with the neutral and oil lamp and the clock stays on. Hit the turn signals with the kill/starter switch still disconnected and the cluster lights flash but not the signal cluster lights. Hit the horn button, cluster lights go off until horn button released but no horn sounds. Battery shows 13V while on the charger.

At this point, I don't know what else to check. Unless anyone has any other ideas, I'm throwing in the towel and carting it off to the shop.
                          On the charger? That says nothing but, the charger works. Have the battery load tested. It's free assurance. Check all of your plug connections.....while you are there clean the connection points and grease the plugs with dielectric grease.
                          You need to trace the power source to find where it stops but, first the battery test.
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

Starter relay could be to blame. Took a $15 part to sort the problem. The other issue could be the side switch.
                            Roll on the summer !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X