Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom parts fiberglass questions

So.....
    I've been thinking.
    I have been wanting to get some things, like a solo seat cowl, or even a custom chain guard. But I am the type of person that likes to do it myself.

I have worked with fiberglass before and wanted to ask some questions to those who have done something like this or who have the know how.

IF I were to make my own seat cowl, I would build a mock-up of what I want it to look like, then smooth it out real well, and then make a mold of it. I would spray/coat this mock-up with a release agent, then lay fiberglass and once complete, I would have a nice mold. But I don't understand a few things in the process. Every time I have working with fiberglass, I don't get smooth surfaces unless I let the resin dry by itself without matt or structural material. So my first round of questions are;

where do I buy materials like PVA

PVS Vs Wax ?

what benefit is there of gelcoating the mock-up before making mold

where would I buy a gelcoat

why are gelcoat guns so expensive

how do I get a smooth finish on the mold so I can fill the mold with another material like plastic, fiberglass, or carbon fiber

which came first, the chicken or the egg. . . oh sorry, got question happy

any input would be appreciated. thank you

Fiberglast inc will have everything you need including how to's.
    Chicken?

Comment

BTW there is a thread on making solo cowls. It's a good write up.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

i made my own solo cowl, i tried copying the gsxr slingshot's boxy cowl, it came out pretty good. i just got some styrofoam and glued it onto my passenger seat, cut it to shape, and just laid all the fiberglass cloth and resin over it. i used bondo over the resin to smooth it out.

Comment

Working...
        X