No announcement yet.
X

2 cynlinders not sparking.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She's alive!!! The 97' coils came in! Swapped them out and BAM! Fired right up Though go figure the very second I got the bike started, it started raining Some guys just can't catch a break

HUGE thanks to those who gave me advice and shared your knowledge!! It is greatly appreciated!!

I hope that Odachi comes back with good news as well soon! That would be a great end to this thread and hopefully useful to people in the future!

Take care and ride safe everyone!! And thanks again! Seriously can't say that enough!!
    92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

?, With the given info, I would have bet it was a voltage issue. Glad your running
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        ?, With the given info, I would have bet it was a voltage issue. Glad your running
        maybe the givin info wasn't all the info?
        if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Possibly.......
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

Believe me when I say I shared what I know, but when I got to the voltage test with the digital multimeter they weren't as low as I originally posted when using just an old analog meter. I do still plan to do the Relay Mod as soon I can, I even got to looking around in our 4x4 gear(spare parts) and found a 30amp fog light relay with 5 connectors.... I assume this will work, correct?

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

Originally posted by DocCannabis View Post
              Believe me when I say I shared what I know, but when I got to the voltage test with the digital multimeter they weren't as low as I originally posted when using just an old analog meter. I do still plan to do the Relay Mod as soon I can, I even got to looking around in our 4x4 gear(spare parts) and found a 30amp fog light relay with 5 connectors.... I assume this will work, correct?
              That's basically what I used.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Just glad your running.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                  maybe the givin info wasn't all the info?
                  Possibly.......
                  Originally posted by DocCannabis View Post

There still is a voltage issue. The electrical tests clearly show that.

Was the voltage issue the ONLY issue? Looks like no.

Is the voltage issue gone? Defiantely not.

We like to focus on things as a singular issue... "Do THIS, and everything works perfectly! " but... honestly thats not how things work out most of the time. What we percieve as an "issue" is most often just one issue of several that combined... really caused the problem. Fix any singular of those combinations and the symptoms will be masked again.

As mentioned prior... the range of 10.5v at the coils is the lowest recomended voltage for reliable and regular starts especially in cold. That number was what I arrived at by testing on 3 different kats in the process of tracking down why 1 bike would have issues being difficult to start from cold, and another would not, even when parts were swapped. That doesn't mean the bike won't ever start if it's a little lower. There are many variables that will change such as 10 different coils all testing "good" yet... provide a slight variance in the output of spark. If you have a coil that is on the edge of "good" and still sparks but it's just weaker than the others and then combine that with lower voltage on the threshhold of good voltage... combined you get a very poor result. This may very well be what was seen here.

Generally speaking... if there is already a measurable decline in the voltage... it won't be long before that continues and becomes the singular primary issue if not addressed.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    That's basically what I used.

Krey
                    Sweet, thanks

Just glad your running.
                    Yes! And thanks!

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    There still is a voltage issue. The electrical tests clearly show that.

Was the voltage issue the ONLY issue? Looks like no.

Is the voltage issue gone? Defiantely not.

We like to focus on things as a singular issue... "Do THIS, and everything works perfectly! " but... honestly thats not how things work out most of the time. What we percieve as an "issue" is most often just one issue of several that combined... really caused the problem. Fix any singular of those combinations and the symptoms will be masked again.

As mentioned prior... the range of 10.5v at the coils is the lowest recomended voltage for reliable and regular starts especially in cold. That number was what I arrived at by testing on 3 different kats in the process of tracking down why 1 bike would have issues being difficult to start from cold, and another would not, even when parts were swapped. That doesn't mean the bike won't ever start if it's a little lower. There are many variables that will change such as 10 different coils all testing "good" yet... provide a slight variance in the output of spark. If you have a coil that is on the edge of "good" and still sparks but it's just weaker than the others and then combine that with lower voltage on the threshhold of good voltage... combined you get a very poor result. This may very well be what was seen here.

Generally speaking... if there is already a measurable decline in the voltage... it won't be long before that continues and becomes the singular primary issue if not addressed.

Krey

I'm gonna just have to do the relay mod and take it one step at a time I guess, I don't have the money nor the know-how to rebuilt the harness at the time being, or even try to replace it... Which wouldn't be guaranteed to work any better really considering the harness would only be a max of 5 years newer?? (89-97) Unless a Post harness works... I have no idea.... I'll take my time on it as usual and stay fairly close to home incase I have further trouble. Here's hoping that I DO NOT!

Comment

Just an update, had a few folks ask how my bike went.
                      New(ish) coil came, fitted, fired and success!

I had bought a run-around bike as I needed transport. An Aprilia Pegaso 650, such a difference as it's a tall single. It was a wheelie machine but did nothing much after that and horrible vibes at 60mph+

I was enjoying running two bikes until the Aprilia was stolen over a week ago from outside my mum's house. Another plus the the Kat - seems no one wants to steal it! Left the kat in the same place for almost 2 years, yet 1 night and the Aprilia was gone!

Comment

Glad to hear you got the Kat running again Sorry to hear about the other ride though Hope they find it!

Comment

Sorry to hear that odachi! Hopefully, worst case scenario, insurance covers it.

On a good note...2 more Kats are still going!
                          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                          X