X

new guy with a problem.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy with a problem.

Hey guys, I have a 95 Kat 600 and my problem is the sprocket bolts on the back wheel are rubbing the swingarm. Can i just put a washer on the axle for a makeshit spacer? is there a stock spacer? any other ideas?
    Thanks!

Originally posted by rickie_h_95_600 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 95 Kat 600 and my problem is the sprocket bolts on the back wheel are rubbing the swingarm. Can i just put a washer on the axle for a makeshit spacer? is there a stock spacer? any other ideas?
    Thanks!

There are couple of possible reasons that is happening.

1. The stock spacer is not there.

2. The hub bearing/wheel bearings is damaged allowing the spacer to be pushed too far into the wheel hub.

3. The swingarm is bent.

4. The wheel hub is not correct part, has incorrect bolts, or is not properly seating.

Disassemble it, take some pics. If you don't know what to look for, we can help that way.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had a mechanic come over and check,bearings are ok,swingarm doesnt visually look bent.
      the stock spacer may not be there as I dont see much but then again i may not be looking for the right thing.As far as bolts go they could be wrong,theyre just what was on it when i bought it.
      Question, What does the stock spacer looks like when on? I have a Clymer guide on the bike and I'm looking at the rear wheel blowup and I see it there but Where can I tell if its on?

Comment

Originally posted by rickie_h_95_600 View Post
        I had a mechanic come over and check,bearings are ok,swingarm doesnt visually look bent.
        the stock spacer may not be there as I dont see much but then again i may not be looking for the right thing.As far as bolts go they could be wrong,theyre just what was on it when i bought it.
        Question, What does the stock spacer looks like when on? I have a Clymer guide on the bike and I'm looking at the rear wheel blowup and I see it there but Where can I tell if its on?

Pull the wheel off to check for the spacer. This will also tell you how deep the spacer is sitting into the wheel and if it's the problem.

When you do that, you can also remove the hub from the wheel and check it and the bolts.

How much thread is sticking out of the nuts holding on the sprocket?

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I agree with Kreylyn's list. You really should pull the wheel to check. There are three bearings, one in each side of the wheel, and a third in the hub or sprocket carrier. There is a spacer between the swingarm and hub bearing, which is most likely to be missing. If that one is there, it could be the spacer inside the hub between it's bearing and the wheel that could be missing. If so, and that is why the sprocket bolts are rubbing, then you need to replace the bearings as well as get the spacer.

Comment

the nuts are tightened hard,but not massively over torqued

Comment

question.....how much of a gap SHOULD there be.we removed the wheel and put everything back on now theres a small gap....should it be like an inch or more or are we talking small gap like 1/4 inch?

Comment

The pre kat is only going to have around 1/4" - 3/8" clearance normally.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                X