X

New to me old school Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
    What size is the RC51 rim (5.5x17" or 6" x17"). My rear Marchesini is unfortunately 6" and I have to run an ever so slight offset to the rim to have frame clearance. Most people I've seen run 6" rim on old kat frames notch or tunnel the frame for proper chain run with a centered rim. I have a 4.5" marcheisni rim coming from Japan which I think I'm going to switch to on my current 82 to correct the slight offset and on the second 82, I'm going to channel the frame during welding/bracing so I can run the 6" with perfect alignment.
    The RC51 rim is 6" wide. That`s why the offset rear, not much of the cush drive can be machined away to get the chain run closer to the rear wheel. I will go with an offset countershaft sprocket also and then determine how much of the frame or cush drive I need to remove to clear while having the wheel centered. I have seen Stevea`s Kat with 6" rear and Strangeways did an amazing job of clearing out most of the frame on the chain side and bracing internally, I am trying to minimise the amount of frame I will need to remove, and again, I don`t have much room to maneuver with the cush.

My Kat has a 4.5" rear now so I can roll it around the garage and I could go that route, but it`s very easy, plenty of material on that cush to remove and then just a offset countershaft and good to go. I contemplated going that route, but I like this wheel better, and so far I haven`t seen this setup on an old Kat yet. It`s interesting if painful at times.

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
    nice. welcome to KR. go stock on the Kat. some stable.
    Too late, and thanks!
    Last edited by vf1000rs; 12-28-2009, 07:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1986 VF1000R
    1986 VF1000R
    1984 VF1000F
    1983 CB1100F
    1983 GS1100S Katana

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
    though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
    neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight
    that knows not victory nor defeat."

Comment

So, after using the string method again to center up the wheel, 7mm spacer between the sprocket/cushdrive centers the wheel within 1 mm. Measuring to the countershaft sprocket shows a difference of approximately 10mm +/- depending on which side of my straight edge I use. A 10mm offset countershaft sprocket should line the chain up nicely with no channelling of the frame necessary.
      1986 VF1000R
      1986 VF1000R
      1984 VF1000F
      1983 CB1100F
      1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

I got my 10mm offset front sprocket awhile back and got the chance to see how things line up with the 11mm offset rear RC51 sprocket:

Looks pretty straight from here, dont mind the worn out old greasy chain I`m using to check clearance:

Last edited by vf1000rs; 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM.
        1986 VF1000R
        1986 VF1000R
        1984 VF1000F
        1983 CB1100F
        1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

WOW!

And um, did I say WOW!

Very nice work and very nice stable. Impressive to say the least.

Comment

Thanks much! Slow going at the moment. The Kat is awaiting a large infusion of $$$.
            1986 VF1000R
            1986 VF1000R
            1984 VF1000F
            1983 CB1100F
            1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

Shiny!

Comment

welcome nice bikes !
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Thanks! Keeps me (in)sane!
                  1986 VF1000R
                  1986 VF1000R
                  1984 VF1000F
                  1983 CB1100F
                  1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

So it`s been awhile.

It took a one off axle, boring out the axle slots, a couple spacers, one off shock mounts, the offset countershaft sprocket and the offset rear sprocket...

Let`s just say I am happy to ride this thing, finally. It`s not done but it is functional.

1986 VF1000R
                    1986 VF1000R
                    1984 VF1000F
                    1983 CB1100F
                    1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

dang is just someting about an older bike.....looks great in the garage....
                      1990 GSXR 750 Slingshot(sold)
                      1992 GSXF Katana 750(sold 2014)
                      1994 GSXF Katana 600 (gave away)
                      2007 Suzuki Boulevard C-90 (sold)
                      2003 GSX 1300R Hayabusa (purchased 2013)

I MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BIGGEST DUDE YOUVE SEEN ON A 750 KAT.....

Comment

You have some very nice steeds in your stable! Everyone of those bikes are so sweet!
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Thanks!
                          A couple more of the Kat:

1986 VF1000R
                          1986 VF1000R
                          1984 VF1000F
                          1983 CB1100F
                          1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

Wow, the entire collection is amazing!
                            "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

my only question is how do u choose which one to ride everyday
                              ----USMC combat vet----
                              07 Yamaha r6s & 93 Kat streetfighter project

Comment

Haha! Just rotate through!
                                1986 VF1000R
                                1986 VF1000R
                                1984 VF1000F
                                1983 CB1100F
                                1983 GS1100S Katana

Comment

Working...
                                X