X

oh no need new head

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh no need new head

i got a 96 600cc engine and just stripped the head again will a 97 head be a straight bolt on? anyone know or have other years that would be a direct bolt on

yes 97 will bolt up just fine. anything 88-97 is the same.

Comment

what did you do to the head that makes you think you need to replace it?

Comment

there were some cuts in the head right under the washers for the nuts that screw on the engine block studs, put jb weld on it and am fairly sure it will do the job but while putting the valve cover on one of the valve cover bolts stripped out (always work from middle to sides while tightening) anyhow i think it will be better to just get a brand new engine head that way there are plenty of spare parts

Comment

They just bolt into the cam keeper thingies . You COULD fix the hole or get another keeper .....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i can't find those things on bike bandit you think the dealership would have them?

Comment

Wow, a new head. Are they doing that surgury, yet? Will you get a new face, too? Will anyone still recognize you...? Oh, you mean on your KAT!!!

Darn misleading Topic Titles got me AGAIN!
              "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

turns out for the camshaft clamps(stripped part in my engine) you can only get them from the dealership if you buy a brand new head cost $952.98 needless to say not going to happen so i went down to harbor freight and bought a tapping set. want to tap the hole to 8mm with an 8mm tapper but need to know a couple things

first off: if i use the 8mm tapper the final result will be a 8mm socket that an 8mm bolt will fit into no questions asked(obviously with the same thread pitch)

and in SAE when drilling the bigger starter hole it needs to be 1/16th smaller than 8mm but with metric it gets complicated anyone know the correct sized bit to use? i'll pay you for answering correctly

Comment

Comment

m8 1.25 pitch 6.80mm

Comment

where can i get a 6.80 mm drill bit, im assuming the tapping drill diameter, now for the fine pitch m8 1.00 it only asks for a regular 7mm drill bit is this correct or am i reading it wrong? thanks for the chart help a wealth but sorry i don't got any money for ya

Comment

icekillah - i to as well have a stripped valve cover bolt. it is the ones with the large head on it. I am going to use what they call form a thread. I think loctite makes some, but napa has some. It comes with a release compound that you put on the threads of the bolt, and then you put a liquid of some sort in the hold and insert the bolt into the hole. It would be perfect for such low torque areas. I am going to do it today(wednesday) and can let you know how it goes if this would be an option for you.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

i am to lazy to look up what you striped but you can always get helicoils or what ever there called also normally the hole size is marked right on the tap. as far as finding that size drill i would go to machine shop supply store. they should have both a single tap and a drill. or if you would like you can do the math and get close with a normal drill.. 1.00000 Millimeter = 0.03937 Inches but once again its probbly a werid size.. but good hardware store should have something for ya

Comment

looks like it would be close to 1/4 inch hole

Comment

Working...
                            X