Katana of the Month – September 2008 – mreedohio

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
stringy_germ
Squid

Default Was I right or wrong?

I am riding on a 40 mph road with double solid center lines. It is double yellow only because it is 40 mph I guess; it is straight and you can see way ahead.

About 1/3 of a mile ahead of me I see an Accord riding behind a big ODOT backhoe type grass mower. He is pulled to the right taking about 1/2 of the lane going about 10 mph. The Accord is just riding along behind the mower untill I get up to them. I wait about 10 more seconds after I got up behind the Accord. I figure the Accord is not going to go around since it has been behind the mower for like 30 seconds that I have seen. I decide to go around both.

Now, I knew what was going to happen, because I could see her looking at me in the rear view of the Accord. I pull to the left to go around and she cuts me off and goes around. I follow her around the mower and she FLIPS HER HAND BACK AT ME! Like 'What the heck are you doing?'

She was sitting there watching me in her rear view

What do you think?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
philwecksr
came home with V.D.

eBay ID: philwecksr

Women drivers. She probably just got of the cell phone..... LOL. (no offense to any of the ladies on this site, I'm sure none of YOU would ever do this). You would only have been wrong if she'd creamed you, however, I wouldn't fault her either (up until the hand gesture) just because TECHNICALLY you were in a no pass zone. I would have acted the same way you did and not thought twice, unless she ran me off the road....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
-Robert Morrison

"
well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

philwecksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
Black_peter
--Zombie--
Supporting Member

eBay ID: caferacer1964

Next time try to flash your lights.
Throw on the turn signal..
Then watch out because then the driver will take this to mean you want them to go ahead..

No predicting what a car driver will do or how they will react. In these cases you make sure you are in a lower gear (for power) and cover the brakes. Let's face it..
They don't think like us..
Black_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

If you gotta ask, you were in the wrong, at least from a legal viewpoint.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 09-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
stringy_germ
Squid

I did not mean right or wrong in a legal way ... more like shouldn't I have been the one waving at her like "What the heck are you doing?"
stringy_germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #6
bcsean
Tank Slapper

Just expect them to cut you off everytime as there is always a good chance of it happening. Signals, flash brights, pull out and wait a second before going...
bcsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
philwecksr
came home with V.D.

Its been my experience that hand signals to other drivers are generally a bad idea.... especially on the bike.

Case 1: Me driving up exit ramp at 55mph, bmw behind me thinks exit ramps should be used at the same speed as the highway regardless of the red light at the top of them. He makes me aware of his feelings on this matter by placing his bumper about a foot and a half from my tire. This inspires me to let him know how I feel about the new situation. I give him an arms out kinda shrug to say "What do you want here?". To which he creates his own signal, which i loosely interpreted as "get out of my way, I'm arrogant, reckless, and have enough power to do stupid things", conveyed by him as him passing me on the shoulder while yelling and flipping me off.

Case 2: Stuck behind somebody doing 20 in a 35. Although in a legal passing zone, this car decided that they would swerve accross the centerline to block me whenever I tried to pass. To which I gave the same shrug maneuver, which seemed to insite them to brake check me to a full stop and then throw their cigarette butt at me about a half mile later....

These have pretty much stopped me from ever hand signalling another driver, especially on the bike. I've decided my hands are better utilized on the controls of the bike rather than flipping around in the air....
Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #8
JZ67
Kat Daddy

just came off the Honda Accord forum, and oddly enough there is this post about some crazy biker dude. JK, I probably would have done the same thing you did. Seems she had plenty of time to make the decision to pull out but did you do all you could do to let her know you where there?
JZ67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
philwecksr
came home with V.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldkat
.... but did you do all you could do to let her know you where there?
+1

Eye contact means nothing on the street....
Old 09-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Kanati
Kat Daddy

I give people the double-hand-pumping-bird when I want to convey my feelings. I leave no chance that they will misunderstand my intense "@#%$% off" maneuverings.

My current ride of choice
Kanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk