X

Myth or truth

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myth or truth

One of my friends said that a GsxR slip on exhaust could fit the 98+ katana I was wondering if anyone knew that to be true? Also Would i notice a big difference in power by adding a k/n and slip on on a 2002 kat 750? Possible changing chains and sprockets and I know a jet kit. Thanks
    Jmanor010780
    "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

(A) I doubt that the late model GSXR muffler & midpipe-assembly will fit because I'd expect differences in the both the midpipe shape and diameter (and because the GSXR exhaust has an exhaust valve in it).

(B) No. At least not the filter & end-can by itself. The restrictions on the 98+ Kat's breathing capabilities is neither in the airbox/filtration nor in the mid-pipe and muffler, but rather primarily at the collector assembly and at the header weld seams.
    You can find how to grind out the header weld seams here. To fix the collector to flow more would require replacing the header with an aftermarket alternative.

A good jet kit will still get you the best performance improvement.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Right, the slip on and K&N won't net you a big boost in HP, but the new air filter is definately better quality than the stock unit that comes with the bike. You can't go wrong with K&N period. The slip on will give you a nicer sound if nothing else

Comment

I guess it is both myth and truth...truth: you can get it to fit...well you can get anything to fit with enough work (see Waltari's Franken Bike or many of the other modified bikes)...myth: it won't make much of a difference..
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Thanks This is one of the main reasons I joined the group to get advice and what would help and what is a waste of money. The exhaust muffler I was thinking is a newer model for GsxR yoshi. I beleive "spedee" told me to get a hindle exhaust which is what he has and he likes it. He said the D&D was loud which i may end up buying the hindle does anyone know who sells them at a good price? Will the sprockets and chain do any good? Right now I ordered the K/N filter which will take a week or slow because here in Albany no one has anything other than GsxR parts in stock. I did enjoy our nice weather today for about an hour and it was nice to be on the bike(my other bike was a 2001 YZF600R).
          "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
            Right, the slip on and K&N won't net you a big boost in HP, but the new air filter is definately better quality than the stock unit that comes with the bike. You can't go wrong with K&N period.
            I have seen (in the BMW car world) test results indicating K&N air filters flow less air than stock paper with similar dust loading, and K&N air filters pass larger particulates than stock paper. If the purpose of an air filter is to remove particulates so they don't grind up the engine, while permitting air to pass through with minimum restriction, those tests show the stock paper filter is a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by bobs
              ...those tests show the stock paper filter is a better choice.
              The stock filter, at least for the 98+ models, is a multi-layer construction:
              about 8-10 linear feet of pleated high cotton rag fiber-filter-like paper about 1mm thick
              a bunch of bleached cotton or similar fluff (think cotton balls) trapped between the paper layers
              about 10-12 linear feet of the same paper as in the first one.

Try cutting your stock one apart next time you go to trash one... it's a bit of a learning experience.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X