why am i going through clutch cables like their out of style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why am i going through clutch cables like their out of style

Damn,

2 years riding, each year I have to buy a new clutch cable.

I know people that had the same bike for years and never replaced one.

I maintain it, lube it often...wtf? lol

man that sucks. maybe you're routing it in such a manner that puts excess stress on it?

Long Live the D

Comment

actually, I do think thats an issue.

I tried to route it the most obvious unobstructed way I could...

btw...sweet tarmac jacket!

Comment

that sucks. both my 92 and 93 still have the original cables. I only changed the choke cable on one.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Are they breaking or just stretching?
          Kyle

Comment

My 93 has the origional on it .Did you buy the bike used? And if so maybe the the cable is run incorrectly. but you said you replaced it yourself so you must have some mech. ability.Has the clutch ever been replaced?Sometimes if the springs on the pressure plate on the clutch system are worn they will either be compressed or stretched,they could be binding and your cable is over extending its purpose. rebuilding the clutch is not a difficult job and not to expensive either.One more question, how does your lever feel to engage and disingage the clutch?

Comment

My guess is that you are routing it in such a way that it is getting physically damaged. I had a similiar problem with my choke cable, which I wrote about in this thread (may shed light on your situation).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks guys!...cyber nice thread.
                The cable broke, it didnt stretch. I sure hope thats my problem at least!

I hope the clutch is still good!

Comment

usually the cable with end up streching before it breaks off, right? at least that's what mine did before it finally popped.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
                    usually the cable with end up streching before it breaks off, right? at least that's what mine did before it finally popped.
                    Often some of the strands snap and the rest stretch as a result. Any cable will stretch over time and repeated use.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had the same problem on my 92 750, I just fixed today, i bought a new acuater the did some adjustments, clutch still a little hard but worked great all day. The acuator that pushes the pin in is has a little to steeb of thread guides so after alot of use and debris it has to work harder so the cord takes all the stress.
                      www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
                      Katana Frame Sliders
                      The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
                      98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
                      I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Working...
                      X