X

first ride - superhawk

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first ride - superhawk

yesterday it was upper 30's or lower 40's but dry so i figured, why have the new ( to me ) bike just sitting there ? lets take it out for a short ride.

I find the ergos still in the comfy range with the main difference being the peg height. I'm 5'8 and don't like a long reach to the bars so it's a pretty good fit. the tank to seat transition is more dramatic than the kat, i find this a more stable position as i can lock my elbow to the tank going thru the corners ( which i quickly found out that i can reduce the pressure on my inner thigh ( outside leg )). It's a V-twin so the bike is narrow and has a really small feel to it - yet you don't feel like your sitting on top of it.
    the cluster is all business - speedo, tack & idiot lights - very easy to read.

the ride... the torque is fantastic. lots of power everywhere. due to the cold weather i didn't get near the 9.5k red line. the twin bellowing out of the full 2 brothers exhaust is pure joy ( not as loud as my pipe on the kat, also 2 brothers ). throttle control has never been an issue and a skill that i don't work too much on - i can pin the throttle at the first moment i see the apex ( on the kat ), getting the front end light just isn't going to happen. I have always found covering the front brake with 1 or 2 finger can really help with stability and with all that torque i will need to refine that skill.

the turn in is fast compared; even with the new D220's ( which will get replaced come warmer weather ) but not to light. the bike obviously is lighter than the Kat which is very noticable ( but nothing compared to the current i-4s ). i don't know what pads are on there - they don't have a strong bite but have a very linear feel are seem more than adequate.

i'm not big on riding others bikes, so i don't - but the saying is very true; you only know the best you've riden ( taken or borrowed from race tech - talking about suspension - but works for bikes in general ). there really is no way to describe the differences in the two bike so i won't try. After 3 years of riding the Katana i found myself riding beyond the bikes limits. the upgrades really helped the kat but finding this deal was a once in a lifetime thing. i have a new understanding of why people talk ill of our beloved bike. for those looking at the sport side - the katana will only go so far. I will however keep it in mind & spirit. it's a fun, forgiving bike and i think i've shown many around here just how good of an all around bike it is.

just like the Katana the superhawk is often overlooked - not a real powerhouse by current standards but for the street i feel this is going to be a blast - when your ready... it's worth a look.

tim

And is the grin permanent??

Comment

The local Honda shop here had an '04 SuperHawk that was brand new sitting in the show room in July. I asked about taking it for a test ride, and was told that would be possible.

But by the time I got around to going to do it a few weeks later it was gone...which is probably okay because I didn't need to spend that money anyhow.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

the torque is fantastic. lots of power everywhere
        I rode a 'hawk once, didnt look real comfortable but once I got on it and start out I was definately impressed, power and torque out the wazoo it was a blast ! .

. its kinda like the interceptor in that is a solid all around bike just not as popular any more.

Comment

I also am 5'8" and I felt like I sat "in" the superhawk more so than "on" it.

It is a torquey bike, but it will tolerate some nonsense - very tractable. It will certainly wheelie, but not unless provoked.

The only complaint I ever hear about is the mileage / range. And for a sporty toy - who cares.

This bike always did very well compared to the monster, tillis, etc. of it's day.
          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

How much power does the Hawk have? I mean, even though it doesn't have a gixxer powerhouse, it's still a liter right?

Is everything stock? Is the suspension stock?

I went for a ride Tim towards the bridge of the gods and it was too damn cold.

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
              How much power does the Hawk have? I mean, even though it doesn't have a gixxer powerhouse, it's still a liter right?

Is everything stock? Is the suspension stock?

I went for a ride Tim towards the bridge of the gods and it was too damn cold.
              you really can't discribe the power. it's not high HP it's the torque. it comes on at just off idle. i was a little worried about how 'streetable' the power would be but it's very managable. it's some thing you have to experience.

i havn't torn into the carbs to see what kit is in it - but it does have a full 2 brothers exhaust - so it's been rejetted or shimed ( the adjustments seem dead on ).

yep the suspension is mostly stock & the only mod i see doing.

tim

Comment

the thing just has so much torque, even at an idle you can just tell is itching to get movin.. and especially when you run at low rpm's like in traffic or in town where u cant really get on it.. its just feels like the bike is trying to tell you, "comon lets get movin already" .. its not a rough ride, atleast I didnt think so, but its one well worth time if u can ride one.

Comment

I have riden a few of them and enjoyed the time on them. I do enjoy the linear power delivery of a V-Twin as opposed to that "power band" you tend to get with an in line four. Nice, not great, but really nice handling with plenty of clearance until you start touching down the mid pipes.

Worst part about them is the lack of range.
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I almost bought a Super Chicken. But I came across my TLS for a good deal first. I test road one a while back. Loads of fun and great feed back from the controls. I still love my TLS though.
                    Josh

'97 TL1000S, '91 GSF400 Bandit

Comment

twins are great!

Comment

Like the Doublemint twins ?
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Where's the updates? I figured I'd get on here and see if you love it as much as I love mine. haven't heard anything since you first got it.

She'd be smiling if she had 996 cc's of thumping twin power between her legs

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Like the Doublemint twins ?
                            yeah they were hot weren't they :P

Comment

The only thing that I found kind of bad was how sneaky fast the thing is because of all that torque! You don't think you have even hit the throttle that hard and the engine is just loafing along and whoops I am doing 90 already!! I can't wait to get a twin!!
                              Less weight is more power!!

Comment

Working...
                              X