KOTM Dec 2007 Chinto

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:55 AM   #1
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

eBay ID: riven38

Default Katana in a minivan pt 2

I read the other post about carrying a bike in a minivan. I am making this post just to make sure you folks read this.

You can do as you wish, but personally I think it is VERY dangerous....or can be. I am only making this post to trigger your brain to realize that a 350-500lb bike can mean instant death if you came to a sudden stop...like rear ending a car or taking the ditch. Like I said in the other post, I learned that when I ditched my Bronco in the winter with a 150lb or so tool chest. Mind you, it was not strapped down, but do you really have faith in those straps if you come to a dead stop from 60-70mph?

Not trying to discourage you. Only wondering if you thought of the risk involved. I might risk it on a short trip, but not a long haul...especially on winter roads.
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
WildKat
Bring Back the '80s

eBay ID: wildkat129

point well taken and yes it could be a dangerous situation.... but if it's the best you can do, and you feel secure in your tie downs, then more power to ya

the same scenario applies to pretty much anytime you really pack a car down with luggage or what have you, if it's not properly secured, it could be dangerous.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
ProZac
Katrider

So what are you saying? Don't haul your bike on an open trailer either cause in the event of a crash it's gonna come flying in the vehicle with you?
I've had my Katana in the back of a minivan several times and I think it's just as safe as being on a trailer.
The best is CAA or AAA but hey if you are in a pinch I think it's just as good as a trailer. You say the straps can break in the van so what's to stop them from breaking on a trailer?
ProZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
Range
Cleveland Steamer Wannabe

Mojoe is right...just be carefull

believe it or not...a box of kleenex on the parcel shelf (actuall name of the ledge behind back seat, usually where the speakers are mounted) can cause serious damage in an accident.
A bike being propelled from a trailer has to go thru several structural members to impact the occupants.

All our service vans have a retaining wall behind the drivers compartment for that very reason.

If you put your bike into the van...anchor it to the floor please (seat anchors)
Old 01-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Range
Cleveland Steamer Wannabe

and Prozac...please post more pics of your bike...I miss it...I wish I had the money to have bought it!
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
WildKat
Bring Back the '80s

eBay ID: wildkat129

btw..be sure to let us know how you make out with trailering the kat in your minivan!!
WildKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozak
So what are you saying? Don't haul your bike on an open trailer either cause in the event of a crash it's gonna come flying in the vehicle with you?
I've had my Katana in the back of a minivan several times and I think it's just as safe as being on a trailer.
The best is CAA or AAA but hey if you are in a pinch I think it's just as good as a trailer. You say the straps can break in the van so what's to stop them from breaking on a trailer?
What am I saying? I already said it. If you really think it is just as safe to have it in a van as on a trailer...well..ok. Go right on thinking that. Range already pointed out the difference, so I won't bother.
My point wasn't to change your minds. My point was only to mention the danger involved in case you didn't think of it. And in your case, Prozak, it is clear that you didn't think of it because you believe it is just as safe. But I don't think you will be in any danger because of your "confidence". It is usually the poor soul who is aware of risks and "takes a chance" that end up getting hurt. Sort of like drunk drivers. They can drive drunk for 20 years and not get hurt.
My only advice...whatever amount of straps you would use if your bike was on a trailer...double it if it is inside the van. And use good quality straps. There is a difference. I broke 3 out of my 4 straps on the way to the Ottawa rallie because I bought the $15 ones instead of the $30 ones. I bought the good ones to replace them and they lasted the trip back and are still good. Not all straps are safe.
If I had NO choice, I would probably do the same thing for a short haul. But if it was a regular thing, I would invest $1500 or so in a good hitch and a decent trailer. I think my safety is worth at least that. And the safety of anyone in the passenger seat DEFINATELY is worth that.

Just food for thought...nothing more. Do as you wish.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
ProZac
Katrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range
and Prozac...please post more pics of your bike...I miss it...I wish I had the money to have bought it!
I know this isn't the right forum but here you go.

ProZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #9
Mojoe
I let "things" slide

Nice bike ProZac

Old 01-23-2005, 11:21 PM   #10
ThAzKat
KatBusa Owner

eBay ID: ThAzkat93

Awesome Bike, Prozac!!!
I use heavy duty straps and many of them so I guess I can yes I trust them. I know that they are strong enough to pull a car stuck on the side of the road, I've done it. I fear more if there is a fire in the van, the added fumes from the bike. You do post a GREAT point though.
I think a Comedian once said " a van is the best vehicle to have, just throw everything in the back and when you need it HIT the brakes and it will hit you in the head" Galagher.
1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
Who knows what is next?
Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192
ThAzKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk