X

Looking at 05' KLR 650

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at 05' KLR 650

I have a friend that would sell me his 2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 for a cheap price. He did not really think about selling it but recently he mentioned he was in need of some money and I asked if he was going to get the bike back on the road. I then asked if he wanted to sell it. He is willing to sell it to me for $950.

We know it needs (should be replaced) the following
    Tires
    chain and sprocket kit w/ o ring

The problem is that we suspect the reason the bike is not running properly is due to the CDI box. I would like to have the entire bike looked at before I purchase. I have good relationship with my mechanic who agreed to take a look at the bike for under $100 even if he does have to take most of it apart. However, I want some more input before I take this step.

More info about the bike.
    52,000 Miles (Yes I know lol)
    Major service requirements every 20,000 miles
    Has been sitting for 9-11 months
    Amsoil oil changed every 4k miles
    Front and rear suspension overhauled at 40,000
    He is the original owner and has been riding 35 years +
    Dropped twice
    Comes with weatherproof luggage and Clymer Manual (Also with e-book version) and original service manual supplement.

Thanks, Any input is welcome especially if negative.

Originally posted by .408cheytac View Post
    I have a friend that would sell me his 2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 for a cheap price. He did not really think about selling it but recently he mentioned he was in need of some money and I asked if he was going to get the bike back on the road. I then asked if he wanted to sell it. He is willing to sell it to me for $950.

We know it needs (should be replaced) the following
    Tires
    chain and sprocket kit w/ o ring

The problem is that we suspect the reason the bike is not running properly is due to the CDI box. I would like to have the entire bike looked at before I purchase. I have good relationship with my mechanic who agreed to take a look at the bike for under $100 even if he does have to take most of it apart. However, I want some more input before I take this step.

More info about the bike.
    52,000 Miles (Yes I know lol)
    Major service requirements every 20,000 miles
    Has been sitting for 9-11 months
    Amsoil oil changed every 4k miles
    Front and rear suspension overhauled at 40,000
    He is the original owner and has been riding 35 years +
    Dropped twice
    Comes with weatherproof luggage and Clymer Manual (Also with e-book version) and original service manual supplement.

Thanks, Any input is welcome especially if negative.

Aren't those bikes carbed? I'd check there before throwing expensive electronic parts at it. .. . and since it's only 1 cylinder, it shouldn't be too hard to tear down and clean......other than that, I know a couple people that used to own them, and didn't have one bad thing to say. Reliable, fuel efficient, and a pretty good all-around bike. I can't comment on the price, but it sounds about right with the money you'll have to put into it for tires and chain...

edit: got bored and started looking....in socal, working klr's of that vintage around going for about 2500-3500$ or more. If you can get that thing running for less than 2K, I'd say you got a pretty good deal.
    Last edited by indianboy7; 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM.

Comment

For less than a grand, if you are going to work on it, I'd get it, if you are going to pay someone to work on it, you'd probably be better off getting one that doesn't need immediate work.

They're about as complicated as a bag of rocks, so it's a good bike to learn the maintenance basics.

Oh, and the typical CDI problem is corroded or loose connections.
      Last edited by thetable; 02-23-2013, 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
        For less than a grand, if you are going to work on it, I'd get it, if you are going to pay someone to work on it, you'd probably be better off getting one that doesn't need immediate work.

They're about as complicated as a bag of rocks, so it's a good bike to learn the maintenance basics.

Oh, and the typical CDI problem is corroded or loose connections.
        I don't have an issue doing most work, but my skill stops at anything that would involve taking apart the engine and or carbs. I would love to get a better look at the bike as I told him so I will have to see what happens.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X