X

on the way to work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
    Well, then you've got the only Katana in the world that can go 150mph. Here is what gearing commander says you can do speed-wise:

at 12000 RPMs you can hit 148.5 mph but I don't think that is real world speeds.
    I was checking out the gearing commander site an remembered this graph.

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

So I started comparing an noticed a few differences in primary gear, tire size and sprockets (I looked at 98-01). Unfortunately they don't have the option for a 94-97 for some reason lol but my bike is a 94 with the original motor when I did as I previously explained. Those few differences create a decent change of almost 10 mph (with a variation of 550rpm). I really don't think it's as impossible everyone thinks lol just my opinion. Maybe it doesn't have the power to push that on flat ground but on a nice long decent I don't see that as unreasonable.
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
      Well, then you've got the only Katana in the world that can go 150mph. Here is what gearing commander says you can do speed-wise:

at 12000 RPMs you can hit 148.5 mph but I don't think that is real world speeds.
      Two weeks ago I did 236km/h (146.6mph) on the speedometer of my stock '98 750. My guess is the speedo is optimistic for about 6km/h so it comes down to 230km/h (142.9mph). It might have gone up for one or two kms if I had more road, but I had to slow down for traffic lights. I've reached this speed several times before too.
      Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

150 for a mile?

My 2006 600 Katana is completely stock. I have changed tires, but that was just getting a new tire because my original tire was getting low. I am almost at 15,000 miles and still have the factory chain, probably going to replace it soon though. In March of 2012 I was riding home on the interstate at 2 a.m. and I passed a 2011 or 12 Mustang at about 115mph. He sped up so I throttled all the way. I had never had it over 125 before that (had only been riding for about 6 months.) I took it around a curve and the speedometer read 143 or so. when I hit the straight away the needle laid down at 150, not sure about the revs. Kept it about 150 for a mile then backed off. Was I really going 150? I'm not sure, but the Mustang only caught me before the curve and all I saw was him in my mirror after that. We got off on the same exit a little after I let off of 150. He waved at me and we turned different directions. I am 6'4" or 6'5" depending on who you ask and 195 to 200 on any given day.
        All the world's a stage,
        And all the men and women merely players;
        They have their exits and their entrances,
        And one man in his time plays many parts,
        His acts being seven ages.

Comment

I finally feel like I'm not entirely crazy

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
            I finally feel like I'm not entirely crazy
            Define "entirely"..... Read the ...... Crazy is a pre-requisite.....try harder!
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

To back up crazycraven420, a couple times i was riding my95 750 on a 4 lane hwy with no traffic and after a long curve the road opens upto a mile(ish) long bridge going over a river. Well when i see this, mycautious side of thinking goes away and the adrenaline over powers my wrist andi keep it pinned it across the bridge and break at the end...anyway, I saw 150mph on thespeedo 4 times last summer while doing this. but i did say SPEEDO, not a gps

Comment

Your speedos are off.
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                  Define "entirely"..... Read the ...... Crazy is a pre-requisite.....try harder!
                  hey man, don't burst my bubble! I like my bubble! I'm sure the others agree we enjoy the thought of owning the only kat that does 150! Lol no but really I'm gonna use my GPS when I get my plugs and wires done just to see for myself if and how much it may be off.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                    hey man, don't burst my bubble! I like my bubble! I'm sure the others agree we enjoy the thought of owning the only kat that does 150! Lol no but really I'm gonna use my GPS when I get my plugs and wires done just to see for myself if and how much it may be off.
                    To be honest, the fastest I ever did on a long, safe, straight stretch on my '89 was 135/137??.... but I'm sure the speedo was off a tad..... then again, it had Gix cams. There was more twist to the wrist left..... but not enough balls behind the tank.
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I don't think I will ever see those kind of speeds again. I have six kids to provide for know, but when I was young, I frequently had my 750 turbo (Gpz) in the 125 range. Had a simpson bandit helmet that would move my head all over the place at speeds above 90.
                      www.80gritproductions.com

Comment

Yea the road I did it on is highway 84 in northeast pa. It's about the first 3 miles below the ny border. I was heading to the ny border coming done the mountain which is well over 1 mile decent with some nice sweet semi gentle turns you can easily do over 100 (car also) then after the last turn (which you have to ease off a bit unless you wanna drift hard right from the banking) then once it opens up your wide open downhill for a a 1/4 mile plus into a 2+ mile perfect straight (commonly street dragged by tuners at night etc) until you cross into ny. It's my favorite place to ride sometimes I've driven my cars on this stretch for years and from the momentum gained and assuming the grade of the length of road you can carry your speed for quite a while with an underpowered vehicle lol. For example my old Honda civic wouldn't do more than 110 on any flat stretch, coming down this route I could hit 130 and carry it a good portion of the road before starting to lose speed. When I hit 150 I had just hit flat road it caught me by suprise and I let off pretty quickly lol.

Comment

If you're racing a car or another bike then who arrives first is a lot to do with who is driving the winning machine - it's not always about the capability of the bike/car even if you are in a straight line run! Also I've gone inside true sport bikes round a bend but there again I couldn't keep up with a Mazda 6 last week on a roundabout - it had more grip and I wasn't up for it at the time. Top speed in a straight line on my Skalded Kat post 750 is an indicated 135mph - so far!
                          I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                            Your speedos are off.
                            This.. Great bikes but heavy bike and light on the power does not equate speeds of much over 120 realistically.

750 maybe, but probally not on a stock 600.
                            Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Comment

Originally posted by frobotz View Post
                              This.. Great bikes but heavy bike and light on the power does not equate speeds of much over 120 realistically.

750 maybe, but probally not on a stock 600.
                              Well . . . Now I am thinking "Go do '150' on the interstate until I get pulled over." When the police officer asks if I knew what speed I was going I could say "I was trying for 150, but I would like your professional input!!!!!"

At least that way I will get an accurate read on it! Lose my license, but still!
                              All the world's a stage,
                              And all the men and women merely players;
                              They have their exits and their entrances,
                              And one man in his time plays many parts,
                              His acts being seven ages.

Comment

The avg pre speedo is off by 10%... post around 8%. This is more exagerated at higher speeds.

With that in mind... If your speedo was reading 150mph, you best real speed was less than 135mph... which brings you back into line with the projections and things people have mentioned prior.

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X