Clothe yourself in KR

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Riding Tips

Riding Tips First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #41
Flounder
Katrider

eBay ID: tripwire42

You did exactly what you should have if you exited the corner safely and didn't hit anything. Don't doubt yourself, and remember this is the exact kind of experience you were talking about not having before the skid! Overthinking it next time is probably more dangerous than using your reflexes. Your reflexes were spot on, and you probably countersteered without realizing because it felt natural and your brain is an AMAZING physics calculator. Kudos!

"Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
"Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #42
Addiction
Rookie

Hi. New here. Wanna cough up a point.

In the MSF class they teach you to stand the bike up straight before decelerating/braking. The reason, they said, is that those things disrupt the leaned-over physics of a bike.

So at the very least, not interrupting your turn with braking or decelerating gives the back tire a chance to re-grab. Whatever upset it could be temporary: a patch of oil, sand, or paint stripe. Likewise, gunning the throttle could also let the tire take advantage of the break of traction to continue to spin, spin, spin.

On a dirt bike I've saved my ass many times by rolling the throttle back. I think that's a different beast, though. A dirt bike is always in some state of broken traction that you're constantly correcting.

So ultimately, if the break of traction is temporary then the best thing to do is stay the course. Correct steering as need be but keep your output as constant as possible in hopes that it locks back up.

But like many said, it's different in every situation.

Tell ya this: it was 20F and my old-ass tires were hard as rocks. I stopped, made a right turn, when my 90 degree turn was 89 degrees finished I rolled on the accelerator and that crazy old back tire decided it wanted to lead. Happened in a flash. I have never heard a sound worse than the side of a bike grinding down the road.

So when it broke traction the best choice for me would have been to throttle down, had there been time. So... it's different in every situation.

Thanks for reading.
Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
Zone07
Rookie

something similar happened to me; I had my back tire go over what felt like a rock while on an angle. The bike skipped, I panicked and roll on the throttle. The bike straighten out.
Zone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #44
mektek
Squid

The macadam doesn't have very good traction to begin with. The age of the tire is not such a huge deal - I used a 20 year old metzeler for a long time and it only became a problem when it started cracking between the tread blocks and sidewalls When it started to leak through a crack I retired it - still with some rubber left.
mektek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #45
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mektek View Post
The macadam doesn't have very good traction to begin with. The age of the tire is not such a huge deal - I used a 20 year old metzeler for a long time and it only became a problem when it started cracking between the tread blocks and sidewalls When it started to leak through a crack I retired it - still with some rubber left.

*looks at location*

Aahhh...

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #46
il_ragazzo
Kat Master

eBay ID: 94nakedkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreylyn View Post

*looks at location*

Aahhh...

Krey
lol
il_ragazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #47
Bkohs
Katrider

Quote:

*looks at location*

Aahhh...

Krey
Yep, hot and humid has some advantages.
Bkohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #48
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkohs View Post
Yep, hot and humid has some advantages.
That is just irresponsibly dangerous, to the rider and traffic around them. A 20year old tire, that only gets replaced when it falls apart. Weather has a minimal effect on tire life.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
scottynoface
Kat King

eBay ID: scottynoface

Quote:

*looks at location*

Aahhh...

Krey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfaerie View Post
I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulless kaos View Post
but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.
scottynoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #50
muffinman
Knee Dragger

Quote:

*looks at location*

Aahhh...

Krey

muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Riding Tips