Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2001 750 kat motor swap into 1990 pre 600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 750 kat motor swap into 1990 pre 600?

I went through the sticky already but my question is... do I need the 750 header? as well as the carbs? i know the new ones have TPS and that i should use the pre 600 carbs that I have now as my pre harness doesnt have the harness for the 2001 750 motor.

Reason i ask is that my 600 carbs have been rebuilt and I have a FP stage 1 jet kit, motor also has a V&H SS system (full exhaust). I would hope that would swap over but I believe the 750 has larger DIA header primaries?

What exactly do I need for the swap? motor, header, and oil cooler? and im done?
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
    I went through the sticky already but my question is... do I need the 750 header? as well as the carbs? i know the new ones have TPS and that i should use the pre 600 carbs that I have now as my pre harness doesnt have the harness for the 2001 750 motor.

Reason i ask is that my 600 carbs have been rebuilt and I have a FP stage 1 jet kit, motor also has a V&H SS system (full exhaust). I would hope that would swap over but I believe the 750 has larger DIA header primaries?

What exactly do I need for the swap? motor, header, and oil cooler? and im done?
    With what you have, the pre 600 carbs would work for you. What will happen is your bike will have more lower end and 'grunt' but loose a tad on the top end with the 600 carbs instead of the 750 carbs.

If you don't want that, then using the post carbs is perfectly fine to do with your pre harness... as the tpi does not make any difference for how the carbs work, nor would it have any effect on how the pre cdi works.

On the post, the tpi is supposed to make a very mild adjustment to the curve of the spark depending on gear your in for an improvement in performance, mpg, and running. What people experiance if you just unplugg the thing is absolutely nothing different.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Will the 600 jet kit work on the 750?

What about the headers? I Dnt need a pre 750 CDI?

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
        Will the 600 jet kit work on the 750?

What about the headers? I Dnt need a pre 750 CDI?

750 headers would work better on finite performance measurments, but the 600 header will work for the purposes.

The 600 oil cooler will work unless your looking at alot of slow speed or stop and go traffic in warmer climates.

The jetkit for the 600 carbs is entirely different from the 750 carbs.

The difference in CDI is only going to be measurable by the difference in max rpms. The 600 will max out lower and hit the "rev limiter" sooner than the 750.

The CDI is not going to match between the harness of a pre and post though.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That's Krey. Ur the man!

Well the 750 comes with stock headers... Which is better? The stock 750 headers or the V&H 600 headers?

I'll be getting the 750 cooler as I do alot of city driving. And I'm getting the 750 carbs as well it looks like. Can they be used since the 600 carbs have a single throttle line? I was thinking of a pre CDI 750 to swap in.

And cams! I kno the post 750 cams are garbage so I was thinking of gsxr cams? Which years work on the 2001 750? Easily I might add?

Comment

I figured out that the stock headers will flow more than the 600 headers but Still unsure when compared to the V&H SS headers 4 to 1.

Sorry I typed single throttle line in the previous post, what I meant was pre has single fuel line and post has 2. Perhaps just plugging the one side will be enough on the pre petcock?

I would swap over the electrical, starter, alt etc. But still alittle confused on cams that would bolt in, something about 4 lobe vs 8 lobes and screw in adjusters vs shim. Just wondering bc if the cam swap is easier with the motor out of the bike then I would rather do that. Im going to ride the 600 next season and then swap in the 750 so its like I will have time to build it up over the next 8 months and then swap it in the winter.

Comment

Does anyone have a pic of what a set of 2001 750 katana carbs looks like?

The pic I got from the guys they look different than my 600's (the part that goes into the air cleaner box) which the 750 carbs wont fit right? since I know they are 36mm carbs and the pre 600s are 33mm. Does that mean I need a pre 750 air box?

this is what the guy is sending me.
              Attached Files

Comment

Is 750$ good price for a 2001 750 with 11,000 miles? This price includes the carbs, fully dressed motor, cooler and header/midpipe. Then I gotta drive 3.5 hrs to get it lol.

Comment

Working...
                X