X

How to Install Freeway Blaster Horns by Black_Peter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Install Freeway Blaster Horns by Black_Peter

It's the Freeway Blaster I paid about 15-18 for each.
    (I think one was cheaper than the other) They are in the Trailer lights and what not aisle. They come in a blister pack (clear plastic bubble).

The rest:
    1. Fog lamp/ Auto relay.

2. Inline fuse holder with good sized wires 12 AWG or 10 amp rated.
    (I tend to go over sized for robustness..)

3. Crimp rings: 3 with 8 to 10 mm holes.

4. Crimp connectors (Female Spades) At least 7

5. Butt Splice: One.

6. Good wire (flexible, meant for Auto work (water and gas exposure)
    18 to 16 AWG, 6 feet or so.
    12 AWG. 6 feet.

a. Strip one end of the in line fuse and crimp on one ring. (If you have never used crimp connectors a special too is needed. This tool;
    has wire strippers, markings to tell you how much to strip and a crimper for making the connection.

b. Strip the other end and add the 12 AWG wire using the butt splice.

c. Temporarily locate the fuse holder at the battery. The ring will connect to the positive (red) side of the battery. Do not connect it yet.

d. Run the wire along existing wires to the horn location.
    Running along other wires assures that your wire will not "get into mischief"

e. Now your relay should conform to the DIN standard and that will mean that the stock horn plug will plug right on to the coil of the relay.
    Marked like this: --[]-- Or similar.

f. The Power wire goes to the post or common of the relay.
    Cut the wire (leave extra in case you have to move it a little)
    once you find a spot to tuck the relay. The common looks like this:
    a___/ __ b
    "a" is the common.. "b" is the output. Crimp a female connector to the power and slip it on the common.

g. After mounting the horns connect a female to a section of smaller wire.
    Crimp a ring to the other end. Female connector to the horn, ring goes under a good grounding screw. I used the coil mounting screws. Do this for each horn.

h. Two more sections of smaller wire with female connectors on each end connect from the "b" terminal to the other horn connector. (if you only have one "b" point at the relay put two wires into one female connector.

i. Once all the connections are made on the horn end connect the fuse end to the battery using the ring under the battery screw.

j. Test..

NOTES:
    It is worth trying the stock wire to the horn. The stock horn connector most likely will not connect directly to the horn. An adapting wire will be needed. (Male connector on one end, female on the other. I found that for what ever reason the stock wiring was not able to supply enough current to power the horn.

Insulated connectors are available and preferred. This reduces the chance of a short should one of the connectors vibrate loose.

I usually add a bit of solder to the crimp connector to fix the wire, just to be safe. The joint will solder easily as most of the crimps are Zinc plated.

Polarity of the horn may be important. One connector of the horn maybe marked + connect the wire from the relay here. The other may be marked with the ground symbol.

or

A bit of shrink wrap is also a good idea. Making all electrical connections as weather proof as possible is good practice.

Crimp connectors are sized. They generally are available in three sizes:
    22-18 AWG
    16-14 AWG
    12-10 AWG
    The Female and male disconnects are standard. They come in two sizes large (pictured) and small. So what you buy at Radio Shack will fit.
    www.mopowersports.com
Working...
X