X

HID Projector Retrofit 2001 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Projector Retrofit 2001 kat

well i was talking to chris earlier bout doing this, and i got bored and did it... i did an hid projector retrofit on the headlight on my 2001 kat, i didnt get to take alot of pics but i have the basic pics .... and i only have a set of single beam hid so what im doing is one side is bright and one side is dim since they r both projectors... hope u enjoy..

here is the projector i used, i picked it up @ the junkyard, its off of a bmw 3 series...

here is the light test, its got a good light cut off on a 6000k hid...

front view of the light testing

almost the finish product, without the lens, i painted the housing black...

finished with the lens back on....

and a shot with the lights on @ dark....

EDIT: im gonna be taking more pics with it installed , still working on putting the fairings back on .
    Last edited by Ej1rider; 09-11-2008, 10:38 PM.

Did you just remove the reflector? How'd you bolt the projector?

Comment

i welded a bracket @ the back and cut into the reflector

Comment

Technically you could prob just remove reflector right? I busted my adjustment on one side which forces me to get a new headlight assembly.. However, I'm thinking that if I don't need those reflectors, I could prob snag some projectors from yard and rig them up and use my HIDs in them. Wouldn't be out much.. I imagine there isn't much aiming needed with them? Just put them in the assembly as level as possible?

Comment

well i left my reflector in there and just painted it black because i want to be able to aim the beam right, unless you make a good enough bracket when you take the reflctors off where you could aim it

Comment

installed pics...

heres some installed pics......... i will take some day shots tomorrow..

high beam...

low beam ..

Comment

Very nice! I planned on doing a similar conversion to my car as well. Good to see it done on a Kat. Wonder how hard a Pre headlight is to cut up?
              The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

i did the same thing to one of my civics, on the pre im not sure, but i do know that you dont just cut it up, you have to have patience due to you have to kinda pry the seal open, take the lens part out of the back.... i baked mine for 225 degrees f for 3 minuted and carefully pried it with a small pry bar thingie, i need to adjust the beam tho

Comment

Thats true, I forgot that its a two piece thing. For some reason the image in my head was a one piece plastic light, even though looking back I know the lens is glass. Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll see what I can find. No BMWs there though..Maybe an early infiniti or two.

Now, how different would a halogen projector look with an HID bulb behind it as opposed to using an actual HID projector? Would I still get a nice cutoff or is the light output too different to work as well? I ask because I know there are MANY cars there with OEM halogens with projectors. HIDs might be a little to upscale for this yard.
                  The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

i honestly dont know from experience but a friend of mine did a retrofit with a reg halogen projector and pu hid behind it, its a lil different but its almost close to it being an hid projector, but he also did some modding to the projector itself, not sure what he did

Comment

Good that you went with the projectors. Too many guys just toss HIDS into their current headlight setup and blind oncoming drivers. HIDS work best with projector beams...

Those look like 8K HIDs. Am I right? That's what I run.
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Wow, that look siiiick!!!! What year of BMW did they come off?
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

actually im running 6000 hids, and the projector came off of an 04 3 series if im not mistaken

Comment

looking good ej ... need to get pics that show the light output if you can
                            so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by eviilil0ne View Post
                              looking good ej ... need to get pics that show the light output if you can
                              ill take some tonight if i can

Comment

Working...
                              X