X

Another Valve adjustment... 92' 600 Shim Style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Valve adjustment... 92' 600 Shim Style

OK, I know many of you have posted responses to valve questions, but I've got one to add. I have a 92' Katana 600, and it is shim style. This is my first time adjusting valves on inline 4, but I have not had any problems thus far.

The Hayne's manual states "Pry the rocker arm aside, and remove shim with a magnet." I know motion pro offers a tool... but is there another way to "pry" the rocker shim open? and if you can, Will this cause damage to any internal parts? and Where do you PRY?

Thanks.

There are tools for pressing down on the valve spring to release the pressure.
    For a bunch of reasons if you need that tool get that tool. There is only woe, injury and wasted time ahead if you don't.

Comment

shim vales are stupid simple to remove. Flip the rocker arm put and take them out with a magnet. If you flip the head upside down they fall right out. I had a guy email me that one time, he wanted to know what the watch batteries were?

Comment

um chris, i don't think flipping the head upside down is an option for him.

oh my bike you have to remove the cams to shim the valves, be glad you dont
        Last edited by BarMatt80; 02-17-2008, 03:06 PM.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

yeah, if the cams are in, then flipping the rocker arms up isn't really an option

Comment

i haven't ever seen a picture of an open head on a kat with shim under bucket valves..............anyone got a pic?

chris.....do the cams have to come out for adjustments on these bikes?

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

no, the cams don't NEED to come out, It just makes life a ton easier.

Comment

Thanks all for your help. No you do not have to remove the cam to pull the shims. i actually made a tool using the rubber end of a plier and a 3/8" Dia 1/4" socket which I used to compress the valve spring. Then I used a magnet to pull the shim. It was much easier then what I had expected. I can take some pics for you guys if you want them.

Comment

yeah post the pics, they'll help someone

Comment

Originally posted by jfried43 View Post
                    Thanks all for your help. No you do not have to remove the cam to pull the shims. i actually made a tool using the rubber end of a plier and a 3/8" Dia 1/4" socket which I used to compress the valve spring. Then I used a magnet to pull the shim. It was much easier then what I had expected. I can take some pics for you guys if you want them.
                    Yeah post them up!!
                    Glad you didn't have to use the tool..

Comment

Show me your CAMS!!!

Please put up some pics, i need to do a valve adjustment on my 93 kat 600 and it would really help me some (and others) if you could show how you did it.
                      Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Working...
                      X