X

oil level up and down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil level up and down

ok when bike is off oil in meter is on full when bike is idling no oil can be seen, just installed a new oil cooler, is it normal for no oil to be seen in window when bike is idling? when checking level should bike not be running?

Unless something is drastically different about bikes, engine oil level should be checked with the engine off and the vehicle on a level surface. If the engine has been running, wait 10 minutes to check the level since some oil will need to travel back down to the pan.

Comment

Mine does the same thing. I don't think that what you are seeing is an issue.

Generally the best practice for checking your oil is: run the bike until warm (let it sit or ride it around for a while..whatever you want). shut the bike off and let it sit for around 30 mins. Then have a friend balance the bike (or put it on the center stand...though some people maintain that this affects what you see for an oil level) and check the level. should be between the 2 marks on your oil sight.

when the bike is running the oil is circulating through it and that is why you are not seeing it pooled in the pan like it is after the bike has been sitting a while (makes it look like there is no oil even though it is fine).

Hope that helps..
      '96 600GSXF

Comment

thanx for the fast replies i thought it was something like that, but getting this bike was a nightmare that lasted close to 2 years

Comment

Its running!?!??!

Comment

no ice, thats totally normal bro, you're not supposed to check the oil with the bike running.

Comment

But is it running!?!?!?!

Comment

well, it has to be if he's saying the oil level isn't right when the engine is running

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                  well, it has to be if he's saying the oil level isn't right when the engine is running
                  I want to know for sure!

Comment

Comment

just checking?...can the level be checked on center stand?

what i mean is will the "pitch" affect the level?

Comment

yes. you mean the pitch of the floor or the pitch of the center stand?

Comment

Center stand "tilt" or pitch is not a factor IMO. Side stand is NFG though.

Comment

center stand.....ie: the front and back height.

im sure both wheels are not on the floor with it being on the stand.?? (i will have to double check though!)

wondered if it made a difference?

thanks BP... tilt might have been a better word!
                            Last edited by mac.g; 01-18-2008, 06:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Opps

Comment

Working...
                              X