X

different fuel types

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• different fuel types

soo am not really sure on this, but what is the difference between fueling my 99 kat with 87 or 89 or 93, right now i simply put 87 and am fine with it, should i be puting 87 in it? or should i be doin the higher quality ones, all my friends with their 2000+ bikes put 93 so am just wondering whats teh difference? thanks

no 87 is the stuff you want to use. Octane is used to premature detonation in high compression motors. Unless you have a turbo... or a compression ratio of 14:1 or something then you don't need it and it will only hurt your wallet and possible foul plugs.

To read more about this see: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating"]Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by ludiboris View Post
      soo am not really sure on this, but what is the difference between fueling my 99 kat with 87 or 89 or 93, right now i simply put 87 and am fine with it, should i be puting 87 in it? or should i be doin the higher quality ones, all my friends with their 2000+ bikes put 93 so am just wondering whats teh difference? thanks
      Your buddies are most likely ****ing away money. Most modern bikes only require 87 octane. To be 100% sure, check the owners manual.

Your Kat only needs 87. Anything else is a waste.

Comment

I thought that it was bad to run fuel that contains ethanol like 87? I've read that ethanol formed those gel-like deposits that can clog the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by eddie_93katana View Post
          I thought that it was bad to run fuel that contains ethanol like 87? I've read that ethanol formed those gel-like deposits that can clog the carbs?

Fresh ethanol in a clean system is not problem.

If you have a not so clean system, ethanol can mix with the crap in your system and form the problems.

Any thing more than 2 weeks in heavy humidty areas means ethanol can start breaking down to cause issues for your fuel system (in an open carb system).

Just to clarify... If your running a clean bike and refilling with in every 2 weeks... should be no problem at all.

If more than 2 weeks, stabilizer is a really good idea.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah, what Krey said. Oddly enough, that's all I've run in my Kat and it's sat for weeks at a time. That said, when it sits I add some SeaFoam to the tank. Either way, I've never had an issue with it even in my power equipment that only gets run in the summer. No stabilizer in those, but the carbs are a different design.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              Yeah, what Krey said. Oddly enough, that's all I've run in my Kat and it's sat for weeks at a time. That said, when it sits I add some SeaFoam to the tank. Either way, I've never had an issue with it even in my power equipment that only gets run in the summer. No stabilizer in those, but the carbs are a different design.

Local small engine repair shop has a collection of pistons on one of it's windows (over 30 of them now). All from various yard tool engines... all of them with a hole burned in the center of the piston.

Appearantly the swirling of the mix into the combustion chamber mixed with the increased water capacity of ethanol fuels = a very interesting over heating aspect to small engines. It's appearantly also common on lots of outboard motors too.

They have been warning "don't use old fuel, don't leave fuel in the tanks".

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, I'm the left coast in the land of rain and clouds....doesn't get quite so hot over here. Although you would think that would make the water problem WORSE.

Comment

Ethanol free fuel is the better way to go. Smoother engine operation, easier starting, better power and better fuel economy. Better on the carbs, the seals, gaskets and fuel lines aren't designed to handle the corrosive effects of alcohol. You will find that your cost per mile will actually be better on ethanol free fuel even though it cost more per gallon, not to mention the cost of damage to your fuel system.

Comment

Lols.....fuel.systems since the 80s are designed to run it. Check your owners manual......it will tell you that. I have yet to.see the mystical effects of ethanol degradation even on my 1969 jaguar. Or my civic...or Toyota pickup with 300,000 miles or my titan or my lawnmowers or anything else I own. That's pretty much a myth in this day and age.

Comment

ic ic thanks a bunch on the replys!

Comment

Originally posted by ludiboris View Post
                        The difference is that 93 octane gas sits in tanks, in the ground at the gas station, and very seldom gets customers. Generally, it's old fuel that's a $$ waste.

Find a source in your area that is ethanol-free, it's usually 87 octane, and enjoy!

No, the ethanol "stories" are not a myth-the alcohol is a corrosive to your fuel system's rubber/plastic parts, and gas mileage decreases; there are no bonuses to using fuel with ethanol additives in older motorcycles or 2-stroke applications, or lawn and garden equipment. Unless you enjoy rebuilding fuel systems? (carbs, lines, floats......)

Comment

Lol...i love reading about how ethanol eats fuel systems.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i run 87----------------- and lots of it . for 13 bucks of gas i can ride to work for a week . im loving the KAT. my vw's run 87 with no problem except the 03-1.8T. it gets more octane,,,,,,
                            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1982SZ View Post
                              The difference is that 93 octane gas sits in tanks, in the ground at the gas station, and very seldom gets customers. Generally, it's old fuel that's a $$ waste.

Find a source in your area that is ethanol-free, it's usually 87 octane, and enjoy!

No, the ethanol "stories" are not a myth-the alcohol is a corrosive to your fuel system's rubber/plastic parts, and gas mileage decreases; there are no bonuses to using fuel with ethanol additives in older motorcycles or 2-stroke applications, or lawn and garden equipment. Unless you enjoy rebuilding fuel systems? (carbs, lines, floats......)
                              Gas mileage decreses, yes.

Eating fuel systems = bull****, pure and simple. PURE ethanol will eat rubber, yes. 10% concentration in gasoline? Pure BS. The ethanol haters take the facts about PURE ethanol and use them to program people to think it's harmful to fuel systems when in fact it's not. Sure, it may leave some funky residue, but it's not corrosive in 10% dilutions. Try again please.

So to reiterate, running pure alcohol is bad for your stuff. The 10% blends we use here will only make the mileage decrease.

Comment

Working...
                              X