X

carb o rings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb o rings

any one know where i can get the cheapest o rings for the carb boots i think i need new ones . wanna get em' cheap

i just bought mine at home depot... they r like $2.58 or so for 10 of em
    Vlad The Russian

Comment

Originally posted by montana.man View Post
      any one know where i can get the cheapest o rings for the carb boots i think i need new ones . wanna get em' cheap

Any of the dealers offer them locally, or you can buy online. About $2 apiece. If you match up others elsewhere, make sure they are not overly thick. If you get them too thick, you will crack your boots when trying to torque them down.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

boots?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          boots?

I guess technically they are called "Intake Pipe Assembly"... but... most mechanics I know call them "boots"...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

boots

how about "intake pipe assembly boots?"

Comment

o-rings?

I'm confused, neither my airbox to carb nor the carb to head boots have o-rings..

Comment

I'm thinking he means the big rubber boots...
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Nope! I'm stupid, there is an o-ring there.
                  I thought I took mine off last year, I didn't. I just replaced the screws..

Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                    Nope! I'm stupid, there is an o-ring there.
                    I thought I took mine off last year, I didn't. I just replaced the screws..

Sorry

Those things get so smashed up flat in there, and I believe the use some black rtv gasket sealant on them OEM.... it's really easy to miss them being there.

Common leak point for older Kats though...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

The orings between the boots and the cylinder heads? Don't those have to be made of a certain material so they don't burn up... "Viton" or something? Not nitrile...

Nitrile is "Buna-N" on this chart:
                      Interactive O-Ring material selection chart, fliter by performance attribute to compare and select the right o-ring material

I just ordered OEM ones online a week ago so I wouldn't risk melted/burning oring surprise. Still waiting on them in the mail. I think http://www.ronayers.com had the best price. I ordered a number of parts together, and ronayers had the lowest total price (compared with http://www.bikebandit.com/ and http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/); the orings themselves I cannot remember exactly.
                      Last edited by foxox; 02-27-2011, 10:10 PM. Reason: added (compared with...) part

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Those things get so smashed up flat in there, and I believe the use some black rtv gasket sealant on them OEM.... it's really easy to miss them being there.

Common leak point for older Kats though...

Krey
                        I don't think the factory uses RTV in there. That seems more like an attempt to fix a leak by someone who didn't realize they could just replace the o-rings. I thought about using RTV in there until I realized that the slightly raised ring was actually the remains of an o-ring. (Yes, it was mashed that bad!)
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          I don't think the factory uses RTV in there. That seems more like an attempt to fix a leak by someone who didn't realize they could just replace the o-rings. I thought about using RTV in there until I realized that the slightly raised ring was actually the remains of an o-ring. (Yes, it was mashed that bad!)

After pulling about 7 sets of them, and some of them obviously never removed... I'm finding a thin layer of black material around the edges and such. Could be a film from the boots or something... but surely looks like something.

The last set I put back on this weekend I did include a very thin layer of high temp gasket with new orings. I guess I'll see how that works +/- for me. It was on BadFaerie's new to her Kat, so it will be around for a while.

Krey
                          Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-28-2011, 07:54 AM.
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

I think that "thin film" was the remains of the o-ring!
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've never found RTVs on those in take boots on the one's I've messed with... although it's possible that the oring actually started to break down and/or smear at some point.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

I tried using RTV to fix one that was cracked once, but it didn't help at all.

Also, new boots come with new o-rings... and from what I've noticed when the orings are beat up... the boots aren't too hot either.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X