Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

AMOS Keith Code course (56k might be slow)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMOS Keith Code course (56k might be slow)

PT 2 is on the next page!!!!!

So this past weekend i was able to attend the keith code super bike school AMOS course and it was amazing, here are some pics, ill add more info later.

i rubbed some plastic down and a coach told me i needed to stop riding as if i had more ground clearance.

Keep in mind this is my 3rd time on a closed course type thing and my first time at a track day of this kind, so throughout the day i was trying to fix position and line. In some pics i already had my right leg set correct, for me that's hugged in, if it was out my toe would rub pretty hard

Last edited by Idrivetoys; 08-27-2010, 06:48 PM.

Very Nice! I wanted to do that this year myself but money played a big issue in that. Glad you had fun. Looks like you were dragging some jeans out there; I see some scuff marks on your knees.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

Comment

I thought you have to have full leathers or a suit

Comment

Kat leading the pack... more pics please
        For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.
        - Ecc 12:14

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
          I thought you have to have full leathers or a suit

only at courses like vir, buttonwillow, etc those track days are different than the amos course

Comment

Tell us more! What does AMOS stand for ? Where was the course given at? If you don't mind telling us, what does a course like this cost? Is it a one or two day event? Do you feel as though you got your money's worth? Looks very interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by superbike View Post
              Tell us more! What does AMOS stand for ? Where was the course given at? If you don't mind telling us, what does a course like this cost? Is it a one or two day event? Do you feel as though you got your money's worth? Looks very interesting...

Alright im off work so i can write a little more,

AMOS is advanced motorcycle operator course

and this course exists under the military, i do not know if its offered for army or air force but this is typically offered at marine corps bases and navy can also attend

the course is sponsored by the California Superbike School by Keith Code and Keith himself was there giving classroom sessions and on track instruction. It was a two day event 7am-6pm with a pretty in depth tech inspection and a full service mechanic on hand for any changes needed as well as a tire changing station and GREAT deals, Dunlop D2s $235 a set mounted and balanced.

Typical drills include, slalom style turning with a instructor following you, braking from 20, 40, and 60 all using front brake only (measured), the brake bike, (intentionally lock up the front wheel and release the brake slowly to regain control), The lean bike @ 25 mph to get a correct position,
              road track to apply all the things learned with coaches observing and correcting as needed, quick turn drills (cross a laser and a light is places to each peripheral, turn away from the light simulating a car, a classroom session that teaches static sag vs rider sag and how to adjust the suspension correctly on your bike, picking a line and executing it with a steady roll on the throttle after the bike's line is set

Im sure im forgetting a few and i will add as i recall them. The coaches are very knowledgeable and have plenty of years coaching and racing professional under their belt. I left the 2 days feeling much more comfortable pitching my bike into a turn and much more stable through a turn. They provided food (fruit spread, bagels, cookies, chips, quiznos subs for lunch, as well as had things like sunblock, potassium and salt tablets.

And the best part of all this its FREE for us. A typical race oriented 2 day camp through the california superbike school on the other hand can run up to $2300 i believe. It just depends on what you want to get out of it, but some packages are cheaper if you check his site.

Your assigned on-track coach for the day is a professional. Coaches are trained observers and correction artists. Their job is to offer plenty of assistance by giving you immediate feedback on errors as well as validation for good application of the drills and technical skills.

Ryan

Comment

Very cool! Thanks for the write up, Semper Fidelis...and thanks for your service!

Comment

Has anyone else done this course or a similar one?

Comment

I was in the very first course that Code did for the Marine Corps, which was done at Cherry Point, NC. General Amos is the person responsible for making this happen, and the Marine Corps pays Code on average about $80,000 per course they hold at the bases.

The intention from the beginning was to improve rider training, and for those that go through the course to take the skills back to the units and pass that knowledge along. The safetly record of those that have been through the school has been pretty impressive, and has reiterated just how important training is in rider safety.

I now work for the school when they comve to VIR, which was the week before you did this course. Those two courses at VIR each year are something I look forward to!

BTW... I was talking to Keith while at VIR about this course, and he told me how much they enjoy doing them and how much they love working with the Marines to promote rider training.
                    Last edited by meanstrk; 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Recently ran across an article in either Enthusiast Magazine or HOG, can't remember which, but it was a very good read. I wish they did a course like this for civilians.

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk View Post
                        I was in the very first course that Code did for the Marine Corps, which was done at Cherry Point, NC. General Amos is the person responsible for making this happen, and the Marine Corps pays Code on average about $80,000 per course they hold at the bases.

The intention from the beginning was to improve rider training, and for those that go through the course to take the skills back to the units and pass that knowledge along. The safetly record of those that have been through the school has been pretty impressive, and has reiterated just how important training is in rider safety.

I now work for the school when they comve to VIR, which was the week before you did this course. Those two courses at VIR each year are something I look forward to!

BTW... I was talking to Keith while at VIR about this course, and he told me how much they enjoy doing them and how much they love working with the Marines to promote rider training.

Keith was very impressed with the way the marines take to the course, he said that a typical civilian group would take 3-4 days to do what we do in 2. From what he said in the time that he has been doing the course, attendees have contributed to 0 reported motorcycle wrecks after doing the course. All in all i loved the course and given the oppurtunity i will do it again, probably on a different/updraded bike.

Ryan

Comment

attendees have contributed to 0 reported motorcycle wrecks after doing the course.
                          That's not an accurate statement, but Keith does no know that. This I know for fact, since I myself destroyed my Katana after going through the course. It was entirely my fault. It was never reported however, so no one would know any better.

Rebuilding the bike was a PITA too. New swingarm, new subframe, new forks, and a plethora of other parts were donated to rebuilding, and I still own the bike.
                          Last edited by meanstrk; 06-03-2010, 11:49 AM.
                          Ron
                          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

some nice bikes at the course. looking good at the turns, keep it up.
                            this is the best icon eva

Comment

thats some chicken strip, i think i would be ****tin my pants at that point. good job though
                              Do The Chicken Dance

Comment

Working...
                              X