X

01 Katana 600 headlight wiring harness alternativr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 01 Katana 600 headlight wiring harness alternativr

I bought a 01 Katana about 6 months ago and recently headlights went out. All the other lights work, so did the usual check and found that the plastic on the main harness which connects to the headlight harness was melted. I have checked online and with local dealers, but they will only sell me the whole harness which is verrry expensive. Is there any place or way around buying a whole harness when I only need the plugin and could splice the wires from the main harness? I know I could "jury rig" it and bypass it with another wire, but I want to try to make a relatively professional job out of it. To clarify, I was thinking of the the type of wire harnesses that you can get for car stereos and splice that into the main harness and plugin the other end to the headlight harness. Any help/suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Tony

If I am reading your question above correctly, the plug at the headlight itself is melted. Go to any auto parts store and buy a pigtail for the headlight thats on your bike. Theres absolutely no difference between them. Grab some shrink tubing while your there.

Go home, and cut the plug end off splice in the new end, one wire at a time. Make sure the shrink tubings in place, then solder the wires one at a time.. slide the shrink tubing up to protect the connection and heat. Repeat for the rest of the wires.

The fix is cheaper then a whole new harness and if its soldered and wrapped, will be the same quality as the original.
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

. Even if it is the harness behind the third eye fairing, which is the one that fried on my bike, you can get harnesses fron autoparts stores that you just have to splice in. If you want to you can even solder the wires at the splice into the new harness and you should have no problems down the road. Just heat shrink to make every connection watertight.
      "If it keeps up, man will atrophy all his limbs but the push-button finger. "
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Working...
      X