X

Bad Starter Relay?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Starter Relay?

I have a '93 Katana 600. Last winter/spring, my Kat decided to start giving me some attitude. When the bike was cold and I hit the start button, it would sometimes just click, then all lights would go off. A second or two later (or after I turned off the key and turned it back on), the electric would come back up and usually the bike would fire up.

The problem got progressively worse since then. Finally, this fall, I was going to take it to the shop to get the issue taken care of. I got all ready to go and it wouldn't start at all, just clicks.

I took off the side faring and tried using a screwdriver to short the relay into starting. Didn't work. I tried push starting it. Didn't work. I hooked up jumper cables to my car and the relay would click really fast, but wouldn't start. It would click really fast for a second, then all of the lights would go out. A second or two, electric would come back up.

So I let it sit for a while. I got a new car so I wanted to play with that and I think the bike got mad at me. It hasn't run since probably mid-September. I moved since then and had to use my dad's truck to move it from my old place to my new. I didn't have the money to get it fixed at the time, so I didn't take it to the shop (stupid me).

I really want to get the bike running again because I am planning on repainting everything and giving it a much needed tune-up this winter and I don't want to do it all in vain. Thanks for your help.
    1993 Suzuki Katana GSX600-F
    2005 Scion tC Release Series 1.0
    1979 Maxda RX-7 12A

Just a dead battery . I'd be willing to bet on it based on your description .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Even though it does the same thing when hooked up to my car? You still think it is the battery?
      1993 Suzuki Katana GSX600-F
      2005 Scion tC Release Series 1.0
      1979 Maxda RX-7 12A

Comment

I'm thinking it's actually multiple problems at this point, with a bad (not just dead, but physically damaged) battery involved.

Try this:
        disconnect the motorcycle battery altogether. Using insulated jumpers, connect a car battery to the bike (disconnecting it from the car and using it in place of the bike's battery). Hit the starter. If the symptoms remain the same, report back.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Or you could try running a stout wire directly from the battery to the starter . Careful though , the wire will get hot REAL fast , especially if it's thin .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
          X