X

Heated vest died

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated vest died

My Gears heated vest stopped working just as it got cold. I've used it a lot in the 5yrs I've had it but the fact it suddenly died just when I needed it got me thinking about more reliable alternate solutions. I bought a Eddie Bauer down vest and polar fleece top. I rode to work the other day and it was 2 degrees celsius. I was just as warm if not warmer with the new stuff and i don't have to worry about losing power to the vest. The down vest is called Microtherm Stormdown and is designed to worn tight to the body. It's very thin and light. The polar fleece is called First Ascent Pro Fleece and it's also thin. So far I'm very happy with my choice

Holy shit and ive been cold in 52 degree weather ur out in 35 guess I need to look this stuff up
    I just wanna ride my bike
    2001 katana 600

Comment

No, you just need to spend a year or two up north.

I grew up in Houston, thinking 50F was pretty cold. After the AF put me in northern Maine for a year I was outside shoveling snow in a T-shirt as more came down. I took the bike to town the first day temps went above freezing and wasn't bothered by the cold until after the sun went down.

Now I'm living back in the south and I'm cold when temps dip below 60.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Haha im in arlinvton tx and below 60 is cold haha yeah in new mexico one year I snow boarded in 3 degree weather in shorts and a hoodie but it felt good no wind down south u get those coldwinds blowing and at 80mph it getts chilly
        2001 katana 600

Comment

50....cold...LOL

If I got too cold at 50 I'd only ride during July and August. Oh, wait, that is what many seem to do.

I ride year round, no heated vest/jacket, no heated gloves, just waterproof gear. Don't really feel the cold till it hits the upper 30's and raining. Probably more due to my Nordic heritage than anything else, but good gear certainly helps.

Comment

Yeah, spend more time out there riding or being outside and your blood thickens.
            Visited my father last Christmas down in Homestead, FL (Way south near the keys) and everyone was in full winter jackets and shit at 60. I was shirtless on the beach.

In terms of riding in the cold, my River Road Scout Leather jacket with it's insulator is a must for me. Leather is a must IMO atleast on the chest because it 90% of the wind. If it gets too cold I have a military issue balaclava, but only for the neck and over the mouth - double up on gloves and wear a hoddie under my jacket.
            - Purplehaze
            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

When I used to live in CO, I'd walk around in snowstorms in flip flops, shorts, and t shirt. Now I pull out the heated gear when it's ~55...
              +1 to leather though. My leather jacket is perforated, but I've borrowed a non perforated one once - huge difference. I got a waterproof jacket last winter, want to eventually get a full non perforated leather one. Not happening this year though.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Haha even for Canadians this feels like the coldest time of year. Coming off the summer it feels so cold. In the winter I walk around like its the middle of summer when its 2 deg. I used to wear my Alpinestars leather jacket with my heated vest in cold weather and I would just have to tough it out. Now I have a Rhyno X5 touring jacket and its a lot warmer.I also wear a thin pair of ski/snow boarding pants over my kevlar jeans.
                I ride until the first time they throw salt and sand on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbles View Post
                  ...I ride until the first time they throw salt and sand on the road.
                  Soooo... August?
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Hey bubbles go to crappy tire they have heated hoodies by dewalt for $120ish
                    I have a millwakie one I use at work and it is excellent as I work outside .
                    I was up through holland landing a couple of days ago nice area to ride.
                    Cheers

Comment

Its 76 degrees here now lol sucks bec I layer up go leave for work in the monings its in the 50s and by the tim I get off its 75 to 80 stuff my layers in my tank bag
                      2001 katana 600

Comment

Poor people.......it's 93 here will be till the middle to end of November then 70-80's till may or June then backup to 100+. I freeze at 80.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                        X