X

Hmm... Should I get riding shoes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
    Yah im thinking I'm just going to get regular tennis shoes, and some boots but the boots you wear are outside of my preference. I would want something more like a plain black leather boot. Almost like combat boots but designed for riding, and preferably comfortable to walk alot in.

I think you were on the right track in your original post. I've just gone through a few weeks of research, and watching reviews on YouTube from Revzilla, and Sportbike Track gear, etc., and settled on a pair of sport/touring boots - Firstgear Mesh Hi - which offer much of the protection of a race boot, but look more conservative. The main advantage of the boot over the shoe is the shin protection.

A race boot will also offer more lateral support to the ankle than a touring boot, and bigger/thicker/harder protection in the same key areas. If I'm correct, the touring boot is made for crashing at road / highway speeds (60/70 MPH?), and the race boot for crashing at much higher speeds.

That being said, there are many choices available these days as far as riding shoes are concerned. TCX and Cortech have some styles that look like the Converse upper, with the exception that they have toe, heel, and ankle protection. You can choose lace up, or zipped enclosures, and you can have them ventilated or waterproof.

Without going into too much detail, the riding shoes should be as easy to put on as your tennis shoe, and these days they can look just as good. If your gear is too difficult to put on, you are less likely to wear it.

I'm looking into one of the following for my next purchase:
    + Alpinestars: SMX 1
    + Speed and Strength: Moment of Truth
    + TCX: X-Square Sport, or X-Street
    + Sidi: Doha

As one source said, a $100 riding shoe will offer more protection than a $200 tennis shoe. Feet are the most frequently injured body part in motorcycle accidents. You know what to do. [thumbup]
    Last edited by rupes; 09-09-2014, 11:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by tintern View Post
      I picked up a set of Alpinestars Fast Lane shoes earlier this summer and they've held up well the past 2,000 miles. I change into other shoes at the office but sometimes forget and wear this for a few hours, they're actually that comfortable. I think they look decent and have no problem wearing them out in public.

I like. Gonna have to get some of those for short rides.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I do like those shoes. As mentioned earlier, Im afraid if I get riding boots, that I wont wear em. Alot of times, I'll be minding my own business when 5 guys show to my house like "lets go, we out!" and Im so used to hopping on the bike and going that im afraid I wont remember, or take the time to change into my boots. I was thinking i was always wearing riding shoes, then that problem would be eliminated. I already bought a pair of regular old tennis shoes. I will be buying a pair of riding boots this winter for next season (unless I get some extra cash before then) Im just going to have to suck it up and get used to changing my shoes before I go riding. I do like those Alpine Stars but If im going to make the decision to have a seperate pair of riding shoes/boots, I will probably get me a pair of plain black riding boots. Something that resembles work boots. Plain, simple, but effective. Thanks for all the input!
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I have had A* Web Gore-Tex since day one. Wouldn't ride with anything less.

At work it takes me all of 30 seconds to get out of my work shoes and into these boots, don't use that as an excuse. It takes me longer to put the rest of the gear on. If your friends want to go for a ride with you they'll wait the minute of so it takes for you to get boots on.

Comment

I agree, they will. Its just a matter of me getting in the habit of changing my shoes. lol
            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
              Also, pick up your damn feet if riding is causing shoe wear. Nothing I hate more than seeing plebs drag their feet.

that's funny because the other day a guy passed me on a bike wearing shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops and no joke he was literally dragging his feet doing about 65mph...i should have gotten a picture.

Comment

Working...
              X