No announcement yet.
X

paint difference under decals

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can wet sand with a 2000 grit paper and polish/wax. That should bring the sheen out. Just make sure you get all the adhesive off
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
      thank you. its not fade that is happening, its dull from me taking off the glue. i want to match it with the more vivid, non-decaled, non faded areas. is this product good for general polishing too? over the whole bike?

thx!!
      Yes it would work great on the entire bike. It's all I've used on my Kat since I painted it.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Heat is ur friend. A blow dryer or heat gun is the best way to remove those puppies leaving ur paint on

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
          depends on the paint. paint with a quality clear coat over it should not fade any. stock paint, yeah, it will show some fade. first i would try taking a clay bar to the old paint to remove any contaminants that may be adhering to it, then a light wetsand and buff will also help a bit.
          ya, what teddy said.

in many cases, it is not paint fade at all. it is actually oxidation on the surface of the paint, and that can be removed with a good buffing.

there are pics in my "how to fine tune your paint job" thread to help you out, if needed. that method works equally well for older paint as it does new paint. the only thing you have to watch for....don't break through the clear if it is bc/cc. you can break through with compound as easily as you can with sandpaper. so careful around the edges. if you see a dull spot that stays dull and won't come to a shine....that is because you are through the clear.
          Last edited by Mojoe; 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i took the decals off just by peeling them on my '02. Did not notice any fading just excess glue/dirt that outlined the decals. After a good wash and wax you wouldn't even know that the decals were ever there.

Comment

I'd say a color difference is indefinite.

Comment

Not trying to block this thread but I have asked the same thing about my 96 Kat. Thats 13 years of decals ! I live in the desert and the bike has been in the heat 118+ in summer for at least a year before I got her so I doubt a freakin hair dryer will work ! I will try though and will respond ASAP.......
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kat96 View Post
                  Not trying to block this thread but I have asked the same thing about my 96 Kat. Thats 13 years of decals ! I live in the desert and the bike has been in the heat 118+ in summer for at least a year before I got her so I doubt a freakin hair dryer will work ! I will try though and will respond ASAP.......
                  kat,

i tried EVERYTHING suggested on every thread in this forum. some came off easy, while others took me hours upon hours of trial to get the glue off. the goo gone DID loosen up the decals (let it soak). then for the glue, i tried 3m label remover, goo gone, hair dryer, plastic scraper, nail polish remover, alcohol, WD 40 and the glue still wouldn't rub off.

finally, when i gave up, i cleaned my hands with my citrus hand scrubber (i think it's called FAST ORANGE) and thought "hey..."

it's a little abraisive, but i scrubbed the glue with it and it came right off. for a few really tough spots, i dabbed on gasoline and that kicked *** too.

afterwards, i had a few slightly dull areas from all the scrubbing, but some meguiers polish got it shiney again like a miracle.

you may have to try a few different things and spend some time, but it might not be as painful as youre fearing.
                  previous rides
                  06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                  next ride - another kat

Comment

Working...
                  X