X

Mirrors with integrated turn signals?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirrors with integrated turn signals?

I'm starting to get the parts i need for my bike....92 Kat 600. It doesn't have mirrors at the moment and I was wondering if anyone has or have seen the mirrors with turn signals built into them? Just thinking about killing two birds with one stone and cleaning up the front by getting rid of the stockers. They've got some on ebay for like 40 bucks that look pretty good to me...I'm just lookin' for other opinions. Where the stock holes are I plan to fill in with ABS so things are nice and smooth. Of course the other alternative is to do some flush mounts...anyone have a good source or pics to choose from? I've looked at the local parts stores for some of the marker lights and such but haven't seen anything that's quite what I'm looking for. Any ideas are welcome.

Where are you planning on mounting the mirrors? I'm building two pieces to extend the bunny ears that run along the windscreen and plan on mounting my new mirrors to that. There are two problems with aftermarket mirrors on the pre katanas.

1) The mounting area isn't large enough for most of the aftermarket "one size fits all" mirrors.

I wound up creating a custom mounting bracket, but you could cut the abs mounting bracket that they send, or fill that space and mount the mirrors somewhere else as it sounds like you are doing.

2) The stock mirrors have a longer extension than most aftermarket mirrors made for sport bikes. The stock mirrors go out (I'm going to make up numbers here) about 7 inches and up about 4. This makes them the equivalent of a mirror that has an 8 inch connector. The normal aftermarket mirrors have an extendor that is only about 4 inches long.

If aftermarket mirrors are mounted at the stock location then they tend to look much lower than stock. Again it sounds like you're planning on putting them somewhere else, so...good plan.

Compare the mirrors here:

With:
    Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFish View Post
      I'm building two pieces to extend the bunny ears that run along the windscreen and plan on mounting my new mirrors to that.
      I'm intrested to see what you come up with. I thought about extending them somehow as well and mounting 2008 GSXR mirrors which have integrated turn signals. Please post some pictures of your modification once you finish it.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

have u done this mod yet ?

Comment

I have a Calc 3 teacher who's more drill instructor than teacher. I've put off working on any mods till the semester is over. I'll try to take a pic of the unfinished product sometime in the next few days though.
          Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered some of the integrated ones. Hopefully they fit and don't stick straight out to the side. They look like they're made a little different than most of the others I've seen and have a little more adjustment. If not then maybe I'll do some modifying to the mounting points. They should be here next Tuesday is what fedex says. When they get here and I get them mounted I'll try to get a pic up.

Comment

I was thinking about getting the same mirrors you speak of...chrome w led signals. I think I'm going to try them and let you know the end result...with pics of course!

Comment

Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
                I was thinking about getting the same mirrors you speak of...chrome w led signals. I think I'm going to try them and let you know the end result...with pics of course!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...Q5fAccessories
                FYI those are my mirrors with a chrome finish.

Comment

I see that now!!! lol They look really good on your bike...I can't see the bracket you speak of either...Care to give us an elaborate photo???

Comment

Okayyy my mirrors never arrived. After a couple emails I learned that I bought the last pair and they were damaged and returned. Therefore as of right now I'm waiting on my refund. But on a brighter side I think I found some other ones that will work better and look better. Theres two possible ways to mount them and I also decided to go with chrome instead of black since I finally made up my mind to paint silver. What do you guys think bout these?

Last edited by copacetic; 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM. Reason: pics didn't post

Comment

Does that help?

Pics never came up on mine...

Last edited by jetmerritt; 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Yup! Thanks! So what ya think?

Comment

I like the safety aspect of the built in signal, I also think they look like a classy mirror
                          But I am not sure about the single stud mounting.
                          I would rather try to mount to the stock location / mounting and avoid any bodywork. Looks like that mirror might screw into one of the Kat mounting holes, but what would you do to cover the other hole and hole in fairing?

What I'd like to do to my Kat is get some mirror block off plates and run a camera. Not sure what a set up like that would cost, but I would like to look into it. Put the monitor under a tinted windscreen and clean up the front end...

Jet

Comment

Mirror block off plates was a thought but I'm also going to paint the bike so it won't be a big deal to just fill the hole and sand it down. So far these mirrors are the only integrated ones I've found that look like they are the most adjustable. I don't really like the single mounting point but I think it'll look good when they're mounted.

Comment

Working...
                            X