X

New Paint and Wax?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paint and Wax?

My dad advised me to check my rattle cans to find out how long to leave the paint alone before waxing, they said nothing so 2 weeks after painting my bike i wax 'er. Now it looks like poop, did the wax ruin my paint? or am i just noticing more defects in my paint because of the wax shining 'er up.

To give you an idea, it looks like a couple layers of paint are now gone i feel like redoing my plastics asap.

Pics my man...pics.
    -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
    -My wife

Comment

i am in the process of getting a camera (camera phone just wont do)
      but as a general rule, is this true? that waxing too early is bad

Comment

The paint should have a couple weeks to cure, but beyond that, be careful you don't go overboard waxing it. If you didn't use any clear coat you can buff the paint off if you aren't careful.

The wax does make imperfections show up more. Did you just hit it with a rattle can and then wax or was there sanding and clear coat involved?
        -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
        -My wife

Comment

rattle then wax 2 weeks later

Comment

2 weeks sure don't seem long enough considering the general consensus I got while asking the same question about my paint job, which was a activated BC/CC, was at least 30 days unless it was baked. Rattle can takes longer to cure so I would have said at least 30 but 60 or 90 would be better.
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by rome_rome View Post
              rattle then wax 2 weeks later
              Rattle cans do not set well after only 2 weeks. Also you did not mention a clear coat. Sounds like you did not wait long enough and then waxed too much on your color coat.

Pictures would help a ton.
              Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Comment

you shouldn't have a problem waxing after 2 weeks assuming you used clear over it.... but be prepared for the paint to take a longer time to really harden up, since you've now all but sealed it from the air with the wax.

FWIW, I waxed my tank like 3-4 days after spraying it. It's fine, but its been taking its time hardening (as of last week, I could still put a nail print in the paint if the tank was hot from the sun)
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

looks like paint job 2 is coming early (not going to bother with pics as no one seems to have a camera to lend me)
                  pretty much, on my tank for example, it looks like i can see the black underneath . . . whereas before it was a nice blue , im going to go with i got too impatient and it wasnt done curing : (

On the plus side, i can try my spray gun this time

Comment

I painted mine this spring to, asked a few people and generally you should wait a month, more in cold weather. The drying doesn't just slow down in the cold, it stops. I'm still waiting for a while yet. Good luck.

Comment

couple months is best with any paint
                      you can polish it but wash the compound off when your done, then dont seal or glaze and wax for at least a month
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

thanks guys. i know better now haha

Comment

Working...
                        X