520 Chain Conversion... Pics & Info

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 Chain Conversion... Pics & Info

SO....

I just put on my new 520 chain conversion today and thought i would do a nice write up for everyone with some good pics and what info i have.....

Feel free to hate on the red chain but i like it and it will match the rest of the bike here in a little while....

Chain: EK Quadra-X Ring 520 MVXZ chain (red) (120 links) (available in red, blue, yellow, gold)
    Front Sprocket: Vortex (minus 1)
    Rear Sprocket: Vortex (plus 2) (available in red, blue, yellow, gold, black, silver, and PTFE hardcoat)

PICS:

INFO:
    Overall im really happy with it so far....

Wish i had a scale to measure the weigh difference but i can tell you its substantial.

-I didn't got check my speed to rpms befor but i figure someone on here knows them....
    -NOW i did 60 in 6th and was at 5500 rpms which didn't seem bad at all....

SORRY NOT MORE DETAILS... i will post more as i ride more... i only got about a 10 min test ride so.....

OH but note... it deff has better acceleration and i can pull the front wheel up in 1st no prob.... WHICH I LIKE....hahahah
    Last edited by FastJetta97; 05-24-2008, 04:38 PM.
    THE EMAIL BANDIT
    F4 I stunted out
    Cbr900 (low and stretched)
    MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

no problem with the red chain at all, just a problem with the idea of a 520 conversion

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      no problem with the red chain at all, just a problem with the idea of a 520 conversion
      ya, really. isn't 530 stock for your bike? you do realize don't you that going down like that will just increase sprocket wear.
      did you do that just to shave some weight or what?
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yes the stock is a 530....

by changing to the 520 it drops a bit of weight but more importantly it decreases the rotational mass which puts less strain on the system and increases performance.... it also looks cooler then the stock set-up i had so thats a bonus....

also its a 520 chain and 520 sprockets... so there really shouldn't be any wear problems and there are plenty of high powered bikes have 520 chains stock so it should be plenty strong for the 750's roughly 100 hp....
        THE EMAIL BANDIT
        F4 I stunted out

Comment

overall I like the look. I must say tho I don't understand why you went with 520. Also why not a red rear sprocket also to match? I'm a function over form kind of guy but if everything I want is available in a colour that matches a theme I am going for then I get it as long as it will not decrease functionality or is a safety risk.
          Last edited by TheWrightKat; 05-24-2008, 05:04 PM.
          '06 600 Katana
          http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
          Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
          Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

Originally posted by FastJetta97 View Post
            by changing to the 520 it drops a bit of weight but more importantly it decreases the rotational mass which puts less strain on the system and increases performance....

also its a 520 chain and 520 sprockets... so there really shouldn't be any wear problems and there are plenty of high powered bikes have 520 chains stock so it should be plenty strong for the 750's roughly 100 hp....
            Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
            ya, really. isn't 530 stock for your bike? you do realize don't you that going down like that will just increase sprocket wear.
            did you do that just to shave some weight or what?
            agree with mojoe. it's not the weight of the sprocket or the horsepower of the bike. It the weight of the bike itself, 500 lbs, even though your kat is naked. what are you saving, about 2 lbs if that...

does look very good though, hope you enjoy it!
            Last edited by Mat0302; 05-24-2008, 05:23 PM.
            myspace
            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

The problems with this particular set-up are two-fold:

(A) Aluminum rear sprocket. Aluminum doesn't polar-bond to lubricants, so you need to lube it about four times as often as steel to get the same kind of wear-levels out of it (most riders don't lube enough as it is, even with steel); plus aluminum is soft, so it wears a lot faster (even if the surface is anodized for strength, the subsurface that has to hold the stresses isn't and wears much faster).

(B) 520 chain isn't really rated for the weight of the Kats. While 520 is fine for the HP level of the Kat (the MVXZ 520 is suitable up to 100 HP), they don't tend to last nearly as long pulling 650+ lbs loads (weight of wet Kat + Rider). In this case, you're loading that stress across a smaller cross-section of sprocket teeth, increasing the loading per square inch of interface, onto an aluminum sprocket that will wear faster to begin with. Hmmm...

Yes, there will be a minor weight & rotational weight benefit to swapping to aluminum + 520 set-up; in the real world, lack of adequate compensating lubrication & accelerated wear usually negates this advantage in a matter of a couple thousand miles, and the differences on a bike as heavy as the Kat aren't nearly as noticeable as it would be on a much lighter bike.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes the stock is a 530....

by changing to the 520 it drops a bit of weight but more importantly it decreases the rotational mass which puts less strain on the system and increases performance.... it also looks cooler then the stock set-up i had so thats a bonus....

I wasn't referring to hp or the power of the kat. if that was the sole reason, you could probably go down to a 510 or 500...lol

but seriously, I meant the weight like Mat and CP mentioned. I give that sprocket 2 seasons max, and you will see the teeth start to go "cresent" shaped on ya....depending on how hard you ride and the mileage you do.

although, like the others said, it does look good.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Is ther a -1 +2 sprocket set in 530? I'm just curious because I didn't think there is.

Comment

Of course there is.
                    Any sprocket tooth count, any chain width -- anything is to be had if you know where to look for it.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That's good to know. You, CP, and HS2020 will be hearing from me for sure.

Comment

ANYWAYS.... i guess i should clarify some facts first.....

GOT THE BIKE FOR 350 bucks/free depending on how you look at it.....
                        -have only put like a hundo or so into it....

ITs a for fun bike... i drive a turbo'd car daily thats prolly as fast as my kat.... so if the chain only lasts for 2 seasons then im satisfied....

I FULLY AGREE that a 520 chain is gonna be "weaker" then a 530.... and i wasn't trying to say that the (realistically) 1/4 of a pound less in rotating mass is really gonna do much.... (though every bit helps)

WHY I GOT IT.... was because i found it on ebay....
                        -cool chain i like
                        -sprocket set up i like (which helped acceleration greatly....)
                        -GREAT PRICE as far as im concerned....

SOOOOOO... if i made a mistake and this chain craps out in like a few months (cause i ride hard so if its gonna **** out it will...) then i will be the first to admit it was the wrong choice....

Personally i think its gonna do just fine and im a fanatic about maintenance (example... my turbo'd vr6 daily has 158,000 miles still runs like the day i got it) so the chains got a good chance of lasting....

The main reason i posted was to show others my setup and increase the knowledge database of this website (which by the way i love, this forum is great with super helpfull guy/galls)

PS: sorry if i ranted a bit or whatever i just got back from a party.... so bear wit me and now im off to take care of my Trashed girlfriend.... (you would think when you say stop drinkin they would listen... BUT NOOOOOO)...

I will post updates on the chain as i drive it more....
                        THE EMAIL BANDIT
                        F4 I stunted out

Comment

PS: sorry if i ranted a bit or whatever i just got back from a party.... so bear wit me and now im off to take care of my Trashed girlfriend.... (you would think when you say stop drinkin they would listen... BUT NOOOOOO)...
                          usually the only thing that stops a drunk from drinking more is when they're laying on the floor or praying to the porcelain gods...
                          myspace
                          2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

its still doing good.... i havent been able to put that many miles on the new set up due to rebuilding the struts... but mostly dealing with moron who is takin forever with a title so i can get it 100% legal again...

should have a good write up on rpms and feel here in about 2 weeks or so....
                            THE EMAIL BANDIT
                            F4 I stunted out

Comment

Working...
                            X