X

Changing rear brake pads -- pistons won't push in

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing rear brake pads -- pistons won't push in

So, I'm finally getting around to my rear brake pad replacement, got the old ones off, went to push the pistons in, but no luck getting enough room for the new pads. I tried using my fingers, wedging it with a piece of wood and using the old pads plus a metal bar to try and lever them back.

Any tips, or am I looking at taking the whole right fairing off to get to the master cylinder and diaphragm to loosen the pressure and get the pistons to move back?

Thanks!

MM

You can put the old pad in and try a small c-clamp or plumbing pliers. The res shouldnt prevent it from pushing in. It shouldnt be very difficult to push in unless there's something else going on.

Without first hand knowledge about it, if I had to guess, I'd guess the caliper may need to be cleaned and rebuilt.

Comment

They've pushed in a little, but not enough to get the new pads in. Mind you, I'm going from some very worn pads to brand new HH ones. The fluid level also looks very low, for what that's worth.

MM

Comment

you could try and loosen the bleeder valve. that might help. i know i have always had to do that when doing mine.
        R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

if you buy ebc pads make sure to leave the shim out

Comment

I thought about the bleeder valve, but then if my fluid is already low, I'm still facing having to take the fairing off and top off the fluid. I was hoping the fluid would flow back into the cylinder as the piston was pushed in, and it would rise back up.

MM

Yep, EBC pads, no shims.
            Last edited by Motormike; 08-25-2009, 07:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by t.c.mitchell View Post
              you could try and loosen the bleeder valve. that might help. i know i have always had to do that when doing mine.
              That's what I've done as well. But for me, I have speed bleeders which helps.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

OK, I managed to get the pistons to retreat through more use of the wooden wedge and some elbow grease. Still a little concerned that the fluid level is very low. Guess I need to take the fairings off anyway to top it off. Good thing I don't rely on my rear brakes too much, eh?

MM

Comment

i see you got it ...i always use a c-clamp and clean the piston real well then use some syn. grease to help move it in easyer ...a good time the change the fluid too

Comment

I found out that there is a check valve in the rear break system .. I think the only way I got it in was to bleed it out ..
                    Or it's time for a rebuild..
                    Scotty Doesn't Know ...Scotty Doesn't Know.. Don't Tell Scotty

Comment

Working...
                    X