X

Spark plug woes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug woes

Hello all! I've lurked here for a while, and have decided to come into the light and share some woes with you all in the desperate hopes that someone can help.

The situation is I just took my 1995 600cc kat out of storage to get going on some nice spring crusing. Tried to start it up and no go. So I changed the gas, and still wouldn't start. The thing cranks, and gets power flowing through, but won't start. So I called up my buddy naskie18 from this forum and he and I started taking the thing apart to get a the spark plugs, went down with a 18mm sparkplug socket and it wouldnt grip on the bolt. So I went and ordered the motion pro 18mm deep/thin socket thinking it was a width issue with the socket. I just got it today, dropped it into the hole and tried as I might, still couldn't get the thing to grip on there. At this point I'm thinking that either I can't operate a damn socket wrench, or there is something seriously wrong with the sparkplugs. I'm lookin for input on what to do next with my kat, I am most definitely trying to avoid dropping it off at a shop, so any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

no tool kit? The 98+ come with a sparkplug socket in the kit I would assume the pre 98s have the same?
    Kyle

Comment

I'm going with the "you don't know how to operate a socket wrench" option.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        I'm going with the "you don't know how to operate a socket wrench" option.
        Nah, he's aware of it.

We've been trying to get this for the last couple weeks, originally we got a deep well 18mm socket, which fit the new plugs, but it wouldn't fit into the cylinder, so we couldn't get it on the plugs.

Now he bought a used tool kit, if I recall correctly, and says the socket in that doesn't fit them, either.

So, aside from re-learning how to operate a socket wrench, are there any useful suggestions?
        Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
          no tool kit? The 98+ come with a sparkplug socket in the kit I would assume the pre 98s have the same?
          I bought this one used, didnt come with the kit unfortunately. Ran just fine all last year. I put like 8k on it.

So arsenic, you have any advice? The socket is http://www.toolsource.com/spark-plug...-p-103191.html
          and by all rights, it should work. But it feels like it just won't go deep enough or wont get on, sitting right above the nut.

Comment

the motion pro socket IS a thin wall 18mm. The problem you had with the 18mm deep well, yeah the motion pro socket has thought of that. That socket in your link is the EXACT one I have. It works no doubt about it. The thing is it has a rubber grip inside it to go around the plug. Push that thing on there.

Comment

the motion pro socket IS a thin wall 18mm. The problem you had with the 18mm deep well, yeah the motion pro socket has thought of that. That socket in your link is the EXACT one I have. It works no doubt about it. The thing is it has a rubber grip inside it to go around the plug. Push that thing on there.
              I took the rubber thing out because I couldn't tell if it was getting a grip (i stuck it back in there). When inserted all the way down, it rolls. Thats seriously the best way of putting it. Imagine trying to put something just a little too small on, how it moves around the edges, and thats what this feels like. I'll take some pictures later, hopefully this can turn into a good spark plug sticky for people who run into issues.

Comment

Sounds really simple I know...

But did you try a 17MM on those plugs you can't get out?

I bet someone put the newer model (98+) plugs in your bike.

The only reason I say this....the NGK plugs on my 91 Kat 600 engine, of course used a 18mm deep well. When I went to change the plugs from the 750, the 18mm worked taking those out as well. But when I put the new plugs in, it's actually a 17MM on the correct NGK plugs.

Try it.

Comment

i agree with ctandc... I got my bike just a month ago from some guy and the first thing I noticed is that I have two different socket types of plugs in it... ... anyways, thought I'd let you know I came across the same problem initially
                  -Marty (Red)

sigpic

BANGERANG RUFIO!

Comment

ok, I tried that 18mm Motion Pro socket on an NGK CR9EIX (thats a 98+ 600 iridium) the Motion Pro 18mm is too big, a Snap-ON 18mm spark plug socket too big, a Craftsman 5/8 spark plug socket, just right, don't ask me 5/8 socket is .625" so thats 15.875mm, 16mm.

Comment

ok, I tried that 18mm Motion Pro socket on an NGK CR9EIX (thats a 98+ 600 iridium) the Motion Pro 18mm is too big, a Snap-ON 18mm spark plug socket too big, a Craftsman 5/8 spark plug socket, just right, don't ask me 5/8 socket is .625" so thats 15.875mm, 16mm.
                      that's what i used to take out my sparkplug last weekend. craftsman 5/8 socket =)
                      1995 SUZUKI 600 My PURPLE BEAST =)

My build and progress thread

Comment

on a 95 600?? I KNOW the Motion Pro 18mm works for those.

Comment

if you don't have a plug-socket to fit it- just find an 18mm that fits, loosen the plug, and grab the metal tip of the plug with a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out

a thin stripe of anti-seize on the new plugs will make them easier to get out next time
                          1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

on a 95 600?? I KNOW the Motion Pro 18mm works for those.
                            yeah on my 600
                            Originally posted by catfish
                            if you don't have a plug-socket to fit it- just find an 18mm that fits, loosen the plug, and grab the metal tip of the plug with a pair of needle nose pliers to pull it out

a thin stripe of anti-seize on the new plugs will make them easier to get out next time
                            that's what i did also. i took out the rubber thing in my 5/8 a while ago and it got lost. so i just loosened the plug and got a needle nose and out she came -=)
                            1995 SUZUKI 600 My PURPLE BEAST =)

My build and progress thread

Comment

Did you try other sized sockets? Did you ever get the plugs out? We are all waiting in suspense. Seriously sounds like someone used different plugs.

Comment

Working...
                              X