X

Need to flush oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to flush oil

OK once again I need to tap into the vast stores of knoledge that is KR. After a butt load of carb touble I need to flush my oil to get the gas out. I already changed it once ( no new filter and I know I need one) Just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas to really clean out the system or is it just multiple oil changes with new filters till it runs clean?
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

You should be able to get the gas out with one maybe two oil and filter changes. Gas, after all will vaporize and thus most of it will be gone with running after the changing. That is unless you still have a problem that is putting fuel in the oil.

Comment

Start engine, ride bike.

Change oil and filter after about 50 miles or so.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Start engine, ride bike.

Change oil and filter after about 50 miles or so.
        This.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

i like the sound of any fix that involves " ride bike " as part of the repair

Comment

Yeah that works... I had the same problem

Comment

Drain the oil and refill with 2 quarts of fresh oil, but leave the filter. I go cheap here. Let it idle for maybe 5 minutes. Drain and repeat 1 more time. Then change filter and add the required amount. Then change it in 50-100 miles. Thats what I did with no fuel in it after the 100 miles, but it was more for peace of mind.
              "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

One of these days I'll understand the fasination to change the filter due to something the filter doesn't filter out (fuel)... thus not making it needing to be changed.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  One of these days I'll understand the fasination to change the filter due to something the filter doesn't filter out (fuel)... thus not making it needing to be changed.

Krey

Good to know.. Looks like I got an extra oil filter then
                  Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by None2Slow View Post
                    Drain the oil and refill with 2 quarts of fresh oil, but leave the filter. I go cheap here. Let it idle for maybe 5 minutes. Drain and repeat 1 more time. Then change filter and add the required amount. Then change it in 50-100 miles. Thats what I did with no fuel in it after the 100 miles, but it was more for peace of mind.

Why would you run your bike on only 2 quarts of oil?

Comment

Dont forget to empty the oil cooler... at least the first time.
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey
                        My reasoning is that the gasoline is going to wash free a whole bunch of stuff that has been building up in the oil galley. That stuff should be caught by the filter but at that point the filter is going to be pretty full of junk.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I just assumed the filter holds a certain amount of oil in it when you drain from the pan. if this oil is contaminated with gas it would mix with the fresh oil and contaminate it as well resulting in the need for more oil changes to flush the crap out of the filter.

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                            I just assumed the filter holds a certain amount of oil in it when you drain from the pan. if this oil is contaminated with gas it would mix with the fresh oil and contaminate it as well resulting in the need for more oil changes to flush the crap out of the filter.

That is the same reason I suggested emptying the oil cooler at least the first time. It holds a good bit of oil itself.
                            -2000 "750"

Comment

The gas, no matter how much of it there is, is going to evaporate at normal running temperatures. The main reason for changing the oil before running the engine again is that it;ll take a bit for the gas to evaporate and until then, not only are you not getting proper lubrication but you're also running really rich as the gas evaporates, gets vented into the airbox and then burned with the normal fuel/air mixture.

If you get rid of most of the gas before running the engine again then you avoid the engine wear from poor lubrication and shorten the time the engine is running rich (which it is anyway when you open the choke). We had a long discussion about this last month and the general consensus among the more informed guys was that getting rid of MOST of the gas is good enough. The rest will go away as soon as you warm up the engine for a while.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X