X

My '00 Katana 750 Project Thread!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '00 Katana 750 Project Thread!

As many of you guys know I'm new here, but I'm not new to the world of mechanics, and motorcycle riding. I've been riding a Ninja 250 since 2004 and I've maintained it myself too. Like I said in my introduction I bought a model year 2000 Suzuki Katana 750 on May 4th, 2007 for $1,200.00 (USD). It has about 40,800 miles to her name, and has been horribly painted flat black. HORRIBLY!!!! What I hope to accomplish by creating this thread is to have someplace to keep you guys posted on my progress of restoring the Kat, as well as here ask pertinent questions concerning technical issues I may have with my project. Hopefully things move quickly so I can be riding my new bike this season and not next! First pictures of the bike as of right now!

Today (May 7th, 2007) I was able to pull off the fairings and inspect the frame fro cracks, the bike seems to be very solid. In pulling off the fairings I've found a sad truth about this bike, half of everything was fastened down with black tie-wrap. Everything that I thought was loose because of loose screws was really loose because when the schmuck who had the bike before me took apart the fairings he must have lost half the screws. the tail light was installed with one screw holding it down, and the windscreen was fastened in place with a loose tie-wrap. It's a shame he put black paint everywhere including the swing arm, the forks, the carbs and the engine. I tried getting the paint off the tailpipe today, but i could not get the stuff that was baked on. I did manage to clean up that yoshi muffler; maybe I will paint the whole tailpipe black to make it all match.

I called around to see about getting paint for my bike. The best I could find was Sherwin Williams, and they quoted me $300 I'll have to see if there is any other place I can go to. I was also thinking of painting my bike "gunmetal grey" but with several coats of clear coat to give it that finished look. Anyways here are pics from today!
    Attached Files

woooooo that's a real project there. Lots of potential, though. Keep us up to date and good luck.
    Warning!! Will ride at anytime for no reason.

Comment

What a shame..
      You could try something like acetone. It might pull off the spray paint but not harm the stock enamel..

Comment

I want to try to get the paint off the parts that will be exposed on the engine and frame, but I don't really care about the other parts. A guy recomended "Bumper Stripper" to pull the spray paint off.

Comment

more pics!
          Attached Files

Comment

Like Black Peter said, acetone, or if that does not cut it, switch up to laquer thinner. I know that cuts rattle can.
            AAA-Anarchy, Armaggedon, Annihilation

Comment

May not be tha best thing, but aircraft remover will strip just about anything. That's what I used to dtrip my grab rail and wheel lips.
              Warning!! Will ride at anytime for no reason.

Comment

This will be nice to see the progress of your Kat. One guy in here actually Line-X'd his kat and it looks awesome. Might be easier than stripping it down and starting over.
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

yeah heard about that, that seems a bit too hard core for my tastes.

Comment

I saw that bike for sale so you must be in the Bay Area. Where are you at?

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Comment

I live in Newark, which is right by Fremont / Union City. Yeah I bought the bike from Joe on Treasure Island, great price, glad the engine runs great, but this paint job... oh boy!

Comment

Originally posted by bigat06
                        May not be tha best thing, but aircraft remover will strip just about anything. That's what I used to dtrip my grab rail and wheel lips.
                        Actually I was planning on using that on all the metal parts that got a healthy dose of spray paint. I figured I'd strip them and then powder coat them all.

Comment

Wow.. What a terrible thing...
                          Good for you.. Karma wise this almost matches animal rescue...

Comment

so far I've taken in two resued animals!!! so now I can say I've taken in two resuced animals and a Katana from abusive owners.

Comment

Glad your restoring it. In a previous lifetime, before Katana's, I restored a Supra.... I bought this stuff from wally mart (like 10 bucks a can) that stripped the paint off with no problems. However, I'm not sure how well it would work on the plastics. You just sprayed it on, let it sit for 15 minutes, the paint would bubble up, you wipe it off, that easy. Pretty toxic stuff though.

Good luck!!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
                              X