Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone with info on new type EK chain/ Master link? CYBER??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with info on new type EK chain/ Master link? CYBER??

While researching info on new chains, the EK site shows a new chain that requires no riveting tool. Apparently it is installed with a 8mm socket and is as strong as a rivet. Would love to not spend the cash on a riveter if I dont have to. Anyone with info??

No master link on the planet is as strong as a rivet solution. As the saying goes "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" -- literally.

I know they guys who mount my tires will swap sprockets, cush pads and chains for an extra $30 at time of tire install (labor cost -- I provide the parts), making it cheap enough to farm out. If you're planning on new tires any time soon, you might want to investigate this option.

Closing a rivet chain isn't brain surgery -- you can get away with using anything that can put pressure on a small area unevenly (to mushroom the head), such as the raised edge of nickle in a c-clamp, or a BB welded onto a pair of flat-faced vice grips. The tools are simply to make sure that you get it "just right" every time, which is valuable for those who either rarely do it (home mechanics) or those who do it day-in and day-out. When I started riding, 23 years ago, the word "chain tool" was unknown in my area and everybody had some "trick" method to do the job... But losing chains was also more common than it is today

I've seen the EK solution you're talking about and it looks quite feasible, and definitely better than a master-link, IMHO.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just got one of those EK chains and a screw type link for it. I haven't gotten around to putting it on yet though, I'll post up again once i do.
      - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

-----------------------------------------------------

Comment

probably tomorrow
        - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

i saw that shortly after doing my chain... neat idea... i'm sure it works well but i'd prob rack my nerves over something like that

in the end i'm glad i spent the money for a nicer chain tool... while i may not use it often, those few uses will pay off... i'm one of those guys that likes having the right tool for the job... in this case i could justify the cost as even after the cost of higher end parts and a high end tool it still cost less then what i'd have paid the shop to do it.

Comment

I had one and got a rivit link instead. I dont trust the 2 screws. Im paranoid about them comeing loose. You could use red loctite but that defetes the purpose of that link.

Then again I own a riviter so I dont think anything about cutting and rivitting a chain.
            Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
            6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
            5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

The screws don't actually stay in. The threaded part is actually part of the link and you use the two nuts that come with it as it's own built-in press. once you press it all the way in, you take the nuts off and break off the threaded portion.
              - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

Just finished loading up the pictures from installling my chain today. It was actually very straightforword... especially after reading this How-to.. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/l...hp/t14979.html

Here you go, though honestly the pictures on that how-to are better.
                Attached Files
                - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

Originally posted by Bakkendance
                  Just finished loading up the pictures from installling my chain today. It was actually very straightforword... especially after reading this How-to.. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/l...hp/t14979.html
                  Great write up!

I'd recommend coating the shaft of the screw before where the nut meets it (i.e. - the hidden part of the shaft) with a big gob of anti-seize before install and coating the interior of the final nuts with a bit of locktite. It should help lengthen the life of the components.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X