No announcement yet.
X

Arkansas passed the stop light law your state could be next

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a law here in TN similar to that. You can turn left on red if you have sat at the light through 2 cycles. Then after that you can proceed through the light just like you would fora right hand turn. The funny part about that is, who can say that you sat through 2 cycles. I know of a few lights here that when I come to them they will not recognize my bike. So I make sure it is clear and keep on going, stopping first of course to check for traffic.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

I live in Ga but get SC news. SC passed it a few weeks ago. As I remember, you have to sit at the light for 20 seconds before proceeding through the light.

Comment

I just saw an article in the new Sportrider mag about a product which adresses this problem. A small signal generator that helps bikes trigger the sensors. Mounts right to the bike and is always on, got a "thumbs up" review from the product testers at SR.
        THE DOC
        RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
        Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
        mistake when you make it again.
        sigpic

Comment

I just saw this on another site for CA:
          Going into affect on 9/1/06

here are the details

As Reported By Senate Committee On: Transportation, February 24, 2006

Summary of Amended Bill: If a motorcyclist approaches a left turn intersection controlled by a triggered traffic control signal using a vehicle detection device, and that signal is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle, the motorcyclist must come to a complete stop. If the turn signal fails to operate after one cycle, the motorcyclist may proceed to turn left after exercising due care.

It is not a defense to a traffic citation for failure to obey a traffic control signal when a motorcyclist proceeds under the belief that: (1) a traffic control signal used a vehicle detection device, when it did not; or (2) a traffic control signal was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle, when the device was in fact operative.

Amended Bill Compared to Original Bill: Language was added clarifying that motorcyclists may not proceed if cross traffic is present and that motorcyclists still have a duty to yield to traffic operating in the intersection area and to pedestrians that may be in the area.

Effective Date: The bill takes effect on September 1, 2006.

Testimony For: Currently, there is no legal option to go left through an intersection against a red left-turn light that never turns green under a triggering sensor. Some motorcyclists end up having to merge right back into oncoming traffic, which is a dangerous situation. Under this bill, motorcyclists would still have to exercise caution when proceeding against a red left-turn light. No problems have been reported from Tennessee, the state from which this legislation was modeled.

It doesn't take effect until September/2006 but at least it's a change...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Sounds like it's a "legal" step in the right direction.

Hope it makes its way around to the other states.
            '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
            PurpleonBlack

Comment

I would like to see Loser'ana adopt this as well.
              Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

Comment

May be a mute point now but we here in Arkansas never really obeyed the lights anyways. As always I watch the traffic much closer than the lights 'cause a light can't kill ya!

Comment

this is in the sport rider april 2006 mag.page34
                  CONJURE UP A GREEN LIGHT
                  if you ever been stuck waiting for the traffic light to change,signal sorcerer can help.most traffic signals are controlled by inductive loops in the pavement,which modern motorcycles have trouble triggering.signal sorcerer increases your bikes inductance,causing the signal to change.its small,mounts easily and cost $24.90 including shipping.

the web site is www.signalsorcerer.com

(I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PRODUCT AND WOULD NOT BUY IT UNLESS KATRIDERS TRIED IT AND FOUND THAT IT WORKS.BUT I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET YOU GUYS KNOW ABOUT IT)

Comment

Re: Arkansas passed the stop light law your state could be n

Originally posted by woody
                    27-52-206. Exception for motorcycles.
                    Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control device, the driver may proceed through the intersection on a red light only if:
                    (1) The traffic-control device uses a vehicle sensor;

Darren Drennan
                    Alexander, Arkansas
                    06 Katana 750

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Katana_Riders/

Comment

There are some lights that are triggered by cameras now instead of putting the trip sensor wire in the ground. The red light systems for public safety are normally a light above the red lights that will flash when it detects the siren/light/radio freq. from the vehicle as it approaches.
                      Keith Paton
                      Red Kat 600 00 SOLD
                      13 GSXR750

Comment

Working...
                      X