X

Oil fill cap and change?? 02' 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil fill cap and change?? 02' 600

Where in the world is the oil fill cap? Plus I need to change the oil...can I do this without pulling plastics?

Also I have 5500 miles, is there anything that needs to be done if it runs perfect?

How much oil does my 600 use?

Thanks guys!!

On the right side of your bike there's a little Oval plastic piece held in by a bolt, under that is the oil fill cap.

I prefer to take the lower cowl off but it can be done by leaving it on.

Put tin foil on your headers under the oil filter to keep oil from dripping all over them when you take the filter off.

And having a filter cap wrench is a hughe help.

Make sure you have a decent catch pan, and of course watch your fingers when you take the drain bolt off, the oil is hot .
    Kyle

Comment

Great thanks!

Comment

as for how much, it depends on if you're just draining the oil in the pan and filter or both that and the oil cooler. either way, you use the oil window that's just below the fill cap. i would buy 4 or 5 quarts. after the third quart, really start to watch the window. there are two lines and you want to get it in between those two. i think you'll take about 4 quarts of oil, a little more if you swapped the filter and maybe 4.5 or more if you drained the oil cooler.

Long Live the D

Comment

Here is a great write up by Trink I think you will find usefull..
          motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Comment

Words of warning:

Use a torque wrench when reinstalling the drain bolt. This is the single most common pitfall for new mechanics -- they either over-tighten it (stripping out the oil pan, because the metal in the bolt is harder than the metal in the pan) or leave it too loose and have it vibrate back out while riding (dumping hot oil in front of the rear tire).

If you had your valves adjusted at 600 miles, then they aren't due again until 7500 miles (your oil change was due at 3500 or so).

One of the better mods, IMHO, is to install a Fumoto oil drain valve ($25) in place of the stock drain bolt (never worry about torque on the drain bolt again - draining the oil is as simple at unlatching & turning the petcock to open it). Does require some modification of the oil pan though to remove part of the raised lip that sits next to the drain bolt.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Do you have a pic or link to the drain bolt cyber?

Comment

Source:
                  A mechanical problem while driving your car along the busy roads of the city? Fumoto Valve Auto Blog is an interactive online magazine that promotes safety measures through driver education about everything that involves auto handling and operation to ensure welfare from vehicular mishaps along our roads through due to mechanical and driver error. Designed to empower car drivers with troubleshooting skills, we have been dealing with this matter for a decade with profound commitment and unmatched expertise.

Requires:
                  F111 M14-1.25

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I put my Fumoto valve in last week, all I can say is it's worth every cent. Here's a link for the valve Steve. http://www.fumotovalve.com/
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

You beat me to it Cyber
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Thanks for the link. I will get one for sure before my first oil change.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                          On the right side of your bike there's a little Oval plastic piece held in by a bolt, under that is the oil fill cap.

I prefer to take the lower cowl off but it can be done by leaving it on.

Put tin foil on your headers under the oil filter to keep oil from dripping all over them when you take the filter off.

And having a filter cap wrench is a hughe help.

Make sure you have a decent catch pan, and of course watch your fingers when you take the drain bolt off, the oil is hot .
                          +1 on removing the lower fairing..it only takes a couple minutes to unscrew all the bolts, but its so much easier to get the drain plug with it off. Plus it gives you a chance to clean off the inside of the lower fairing. You get alot of small pebbles and dirt that can lodge themselves between where the 2 parts of the lower fairing come together and you cant always see them unless you pull it off.

Comment

the last time i did my oil i didnt take the lower fairing off and had no problem getting to the drain. just lay on the ground and get under the bike makes it easier maybe
                            03 katanika

Comment

Working...
                            X